Software FX Community

Problem with chart After Render

kalyan_nani

Hi,

I am using chartfx 7.0.2281.31757 version with visual studio 2005 and the OS is windows server 2003 statndard edition.

I am using chart7 licenced version.

i have an issue with chartfx for past few days.

i am rendering the chart in ".Net" mode.

previously i could see the chart recently my user id has been changed. since then chart is not rendering.(Blank rectangle is coming).

There was no change in user previliges and the system is also the same.

please advise me.

Regards,

Kalyan.P

Looks like your .NET settings in the CLint Box are not enough to allow .NET Controls run inside the browser for the zone in which your page resides (Local Intranet).

Use the Administrative Tools in the Control panel to change this.

This is one of many posibilities. For more see:

Q6141001. Security settings required by the .NET client control

URL: http://support.softwarefx.com/ShowArticle.aspx?Type=KB&Product=CfxNet62&Source=http://support.softwarefx.com/kb/614/1/001.htm?_r=1

Hi Frank,

Thanks for quick reply.

1. My development machine and production machine are one and the same.

2.I am facing this issue with development environment.

3.If I deploy the same in production(IIS) i am able to see the chart.

4.I have been working on this machine and on the same application for the past 1 year. Recently my login id is changed, from then i am facing this issue.

5.we have already configured client security policy.

Regards,

kalyan.P

Some observations: 

1) Something else has changed. We definitely don't have any code in Chart FX that will depend on your specific login id. So this login id change may have entailed other changes you are not aware of.

2) The version you are using is not the latest service pack. The latest service pack is 7.0.2664

3) Chart FX is not even running inside your browser. This rules out any issues with the client control itself. At least for now, until we get it to run.

4) This two things seem contradictory: "My development machine and production machine are one and the same" and "If I deploy the same in production(IIS) i am able to see the chart.". What do you mean here? Do you mean that your app runs in IIS but does NOT run using the Visual Studio ASP.NET Web Server. If this is the case, remove the chartfx70 folder from your project and run again.

5) Run gacutil /cdl in your client. Then hit the page. Run gacutil /ldl. What's the list of assemblies you get?

Hi Frank,

1. Issue with ASP.NET web server

I have removed existing chrtafx and reinstalled.

I took new c# (.aspx) application and drag the chart on to it.

I ran the application using asp.net web server.

when I use gacutil/ldl it showing number of items=0

2. Issue with IIS

I copied the dlls from c:\program files\chart fx for visual studio 2005\bin to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\myapp\bin

c:\program files\chart fx for visual studio 2005\chartfx70\download to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\myapp\chartfx70\download

This time i am getting "Failed to download chart , Protocol Error - Not found(404)"

Hi Frank,

We are also having the same problem here.  We recently upgraded our server OS to Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP1.  The latest ChartFX7 service pack is installed and the charts are displayed properly when the application is run from visual studio 2005. 

This only seems to happen when .NET rendering is used.  Image rendered charts display just fine.

On the server I did notice this error that sometimes occurs when a chart is requested:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E} to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE  

I found the related application under "component services" and set the user and local activation permission accordingly.  We no longer get the error but the chart situation has not improved.  No other errors are reported to the event viewer when a chart is requested.

any thoughts? 

Gabriel:

The control is not being downloaded. I can think of two reasons for that:

1) The url for the control is incorrect: Do a view source and look for the download url of the Chart FX <OBJECT> tag. Copy-Paste the url into your browsers address bar, this should tell you what the problem is. Either the folder is not there, or the server permissions are not setup correctly.

2) Your browser is not configured to run .NET ActiveX/.NET Controls. Check your browser settings as well as the .NET Framework Security Settings.

Kalyan-nani:

Do a view source, look for the <OBJECT> tag and the <DataPath> param. Copy-Paste that url into your browser's address bar and see what the error is. I suspect the problem is that either the IIS virtual folder (chartfx70) is not there or your server permissions are not allowing for the file to go through.

Frank:

1) I imagine that the URLs to check are something like http://(server name)/chartfx70/temp/ and http://(server name)/chartfx70/pss/.  I downloaded files from these folders without any problems.  I thought it might be a permissions issue with .net so I modified website user security settings and such.  The "anonymous website user" account is set to administrator.  I'm not using impersonation for asp.net so the "Network Service" user id is used for authorization/authentication of .net controls (I believe) so that one is also set to administrator.  Basically, any user id I believe is used for any authorization/authentication has been made administrator.  Website permissions have also been set.  As far as I know, on the server, everything should have access to everything and still no chart is displayed.  I even set the NTFS level permissions to allow anything for these user names. 

Anyway, can you think of any other reasons why the control would not be downloaded?

2) The browser and .net on the client machine are properly configured.  I can view charts provided by the production server.  It won't be upgraded until we can solve this problem on the test server.

Interesting side note: Just before posting this I tried the gacutil /ldl command after successfully viewing a chart from the production server.  There were still no items in the cache.  Is that normal???

Gabriel,

1) The URLs used to download our .NET assemblies should look like this http://servername/chartfx70/download , the Temp and PSS folders are used to download ChartFX generated files but not the assemblies. Can you post what one our generated <OBJECT> tags looks like?

>> There were still no items in the cache.  Is that normal???

Is it possible the chart on the server is being rendered as an image? Note that we will generate DHTML menus and toolbar so it will look interactive.

Another possibility would be if you are running gacutil for a different .NET Framework (e.g. 1.1 instead of 2.0)

JuanC

I tried accessing the download folder.  I can list the contents, there is a list of ChartFX.NetIEClient dlls,  but when I click on one of the files or try to "save target as" I get a " the page cannot be found" error 404.  All the while the folder exists in the website directory.  I tried creating a virtual folder to the chartfx70 folder in the installation directory of the server and I get the same result -the files are listed but not found when requesting a download.

Actually I can't find the Chartfx70 <object> tag, maybe I'm misunderstanding...  I am also certain that the RenderFormat property of the chart is set to .NET so its not being generated as an image.  Anyway, I'll add the source that I do get at the end of this post.  I apologize for the messiness. 

I was accidentally running gacutil for the wrong .NET version.  I used the /cdl switch, with the correct gacutil version, hit the test page then used /ldl and no files were downloaded.  They were downloaded when hitting the production server site though.  So things make sense in that respect.

Here is the source:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >
<head><title>
  Untitled Page
</title></head>
<body>
  <form name="form1" method="post" action="default.aspx" id="form1">
<div>
<input type="hidden" name="_Chart1_pers" id="_Chart1_pers" value="" />
<input type="hidden" name="__EVENTTARGET" id="__EVENTTARGET" value="" />
<input type="hidden" name="__EVENTARGUMENT" id="__EVENTARGUMENT" value="" />
<input type="hidden" name="__Chart1_VIEWSTATE" id="__Chart1_VIEWSTATE" value="0-081613400" />
<input type="hidden" name="__VIEWSTATE" id="__VIEWSTATE" value="/wEPDwUKLTg2ODE0OTMxNw9kFgICAw9kFgICAw8FCzAtMDgxNjEzNDAwZGTP97tvXGYmhvgAFNfG6zM7prEN8Q==" />
</div>

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
var theForm = document.forms['form1'];
if (!theForm) {
  theForm = document.form1;
}
function __doPostBack(eventTarget, eventArgument) {
  if (!theForm.onsubmit || (theForm.onsubmit() != false)) {
  theForm.__EVENTTARGET.value = eventTarget;
  theForm.__EVENTARGUMENT.value = eventArgument;
  theForm.submit();
  }
}
// -->
</script>

<script src="/WebResource.axd?d=5TjTEv7WRFGim7nDjaYE4A2&t=633228627066637555" type="text/javascript"></script>

<script src="/WebResource.axd?d=VQX5WuRS_sEF7vGMQwooSNa18bOfghhUjr4U9B33NNIYADsw9XGIsH__aPjue9uV_EA6U8gY9IySyM88IKR43A2&t=633124916080000000" type="text/javascript"></script>
<!--
function SFX_Callback (chartId, clickId) {
WebForm_DoCallback(chartId,clickId,SFX_OnCallbackReady,chartId,SFX_OnCallbackError,true);
}
function SFX_PostBack (chartId, clickId) {
__doPostBack(chartId,clickId);
}
// -->
</script>

<div>
   <span id="Label1">1</span>
  <script src="/chartfx70/pss/ChartFX.aspx?id=0-081613401&type=js&mime=application%2fx-javascript"></script>
<script>cfx_replaceChart1();</script>

</div>

<!--

WebForm_InitCallback();// -->
</script>
</form>
</body>
</html>

A couple of things you want to check

- NTFS security settings on the ChartFX.NetIEClient.* files

- Make sure the virtual directory pointing to these files is set to download only (not running as IIS might try to load these DLLs and run them as if they were ISAPI libraries).

No object tag is being generated because your machine is set to use the AXCompat "strategy". You can turn this off in the ChartFX.WebForms.config folder if you want to see the <OBJECT> tag but I do not think this is related to the problem you are experiencing.

JuanC

Juan, Good call on your second point.

For anyone with the same problem the details are as follows:

- Have a real folder named "ChartFX70" in your website root.

- Create virtual folders named "Download", "PSS" and "Temp" in the ChartFX70 folder.  When prompted, do NOT check "Execute (such as ISAPI applications CGI)".

Alternatively, if the virtual folder is already created then open its properties window.  Go to the "Virtual Directory" tab and from the "Execute Permissions" combo box choose "Scripts only" instead of "Scripts and Executables".

That is what worked for me. 

For some reason the chart doesn't display at all if I create a virtual folder named ChartFX70 pointing to chartfx70 in the installation folder.  That is why I needed to create the three virtual folders separately.  But its not a big deal, I'm glad things are working now.

Thanks 

Archived