Software FX Community

Intermittent 404 errors when using the .NET Control

DanielL_550

We found the cause of this problem and solved it but we think the ChartFX installation has a problem that should be fixed.

We were having Intermittent 404 errors when using the .NET Control. The control would work for a while and then we would begin getting Failed to download Chart

ProtocolError – NotFound(404) errors instead of a chart. If we waited a few minutes and refreshed the browser everything worked correctly. We compared the html source when it worked to the html source when it did not work and found there was a difference.

When it worked

<script src="/chartfx70/pss/ChartFX.aspx?id=0-041117452&type=js&mime=application%2fx-javascript"></script>

<script>cfx_replace_trendChart();</script>

When it did not work

<script src="/chartfx70/temp/CFT0411_0526413A90B.js"></script>

<script>cfx_replace_trendChart();</script>

We were also getting errors in the event log on the server

Can not read file d:\chartfx7\PSS\Temp\(anonymous)

Could not find file 'd:\chartfx7\PSS\Temp\(anonymous)'.

By looking at the IIS logs and using a trace program we found that when the .NET control did not work it was requesting a .chw file and getting a 404 error.

We have two test servers that have never had this problem. By comparing the test servers to our production servers we found out that the .chw and .lic MIME types were not registered on the production servers. We added the MIME types to the production servers and restarted IIS and everything works correctly.

This problem seems to be a problem with the ChartFX installation when installing to D: drive when the IIS InetPub folder is also on the D: drive. Our test servers have the 2003 Server OS, the ChartFX installation, and the IIS Inetpub folder installed on the C: drive. Our production servers have the 2003 Server OS on the C: drive but the ChartFX installation and the IIS Inetpub folder are installed on the D: drive. In this case the ChartFX installation did not register the .chw and .lic MIME types.

Can you test this to see if you can duplicate this problem? You will need a clean system that has 2 drives and does not have the .chw and .lic MIME types registered.

Thank you.

I am sorry about the double post. Somehow I pressed the button two times.

We are still getting intermittent errors in the event logs on the web servers. Do you know what would cause this problem?

Event Type: ErrorEvent Source: Chart FX 7.0 PSS ServiceEvent Category: NoneEvent ID: 0Date: 4/13/2007Time: 9:32:31 AMUser: N/AComputer: EWEB02Description:Can not read file D:\ChartFX7\PSS\Temp\(anonymous)Could not find file 'D:\ChartFX7\PSS\Temp\(anonymous)'.

Thank you. 

Thank you for your feedback, we will check to see if we can reproduce this behavior in a clean box.

As for the PSS error. One question:

Do you have a Web Farm? If so, you need to make sure that the PSS from one machine sees the others. You can find more information about this in our Support Site. If this is the case let me know and I will include more information.

We do have a web farm but the affinity is very high so a user should stay on the same server. This was done for load balancing instead of using it for fail over. Since a user should not be changing servers once they are connected we did not configure the PSS service to see the other servers. Do you think this is a problem?

We will need to change this PSS configuration in the near future so that we work in fail over conditions. I am interested in any information you have for settings the servers up so they can see each other.

Thank you. 

Archived