Software FX Community

Series: Send to Back/Send to Front

User (Legacy)

I am working with a chart where I have multiple series on both theY1 & Y2 Axis. The series frequently have multiple chart types (primarily bar & lines). In this example the bars are stacked on Y2 and the lines are on Y1. Dates are used on the X-axis.

When I try to use the "Bring to Front" menu item...it has no effect. The dude coding this tells me that when he tries to roll his own "bring to front" command it does not work either.

Is there an easy way to accomplish this? In the example below, I can not get the blue line (peaking out at the bottom) in front of the stacked bars regardless of whether I try our code or the built-in menus.

Last comment. When we try to save the layout after we have used multiple axis AND changed the series order ...when we reopen the chart and apply the saved layout, the legends/series in the charts flip. In other words, I think there may be an issue with what gets saved in the Template when we are using multiple axis and changing the series order...

We are using this line to save layout...

Me.FileContents = ChartFX.WinForms.FileContents.ColorsAndStyles Or ChartFX.WinForms.FileContents.CustomGridlines Or ChartFX.WinForms.FileContents.DockableBars Or ChartFX.WinForms.FileContents.Extensions Or ChartFX.WinForms.FileContents.Fonts Or ChartFX.WinForms.FileContents.AxisSections

Me.Export(FileFormat.Xml, MS)

Any ideas on what we are doing wrong?

Send To Back means to send the series to the END of the series collection. Stacked charts work in sequence so moving a series belonging to Axis Y1 may cause the stack sequence to break as the series for AxisY1 and Axis Y2 will no longer be what you want.

For example:

Series 1 Stacked Bar

Series 2 Stacked Bar

Series 3 Stacked Bar

Series 4 Lines

Series 5 Lines

After Send Series 2 to the back you will end up with:

Series 1 Stacked Bar

Series 3 Stacked Bar

Series 4 Lines

Series 5 Lines

Series 2 Stacked Bar

As you can see the groups are broken now.

So I think you are expecting something else out of Send To Back / Bring To Front, what it seems is that you need to bring a series to the front or back of a "group". You can achieve this by manipulating the series collection using Add, Remove and Insert.

--

Francisco Padron

www.chartfx.com

• 4 years later...

Archived