Software FX Community

Compact Data

wuttrain

Hi,

For my web app, I am expecting large amounts of data points displayed in the chart, and it is really taking time to load the chart.  If I use the Compact functionality of ChartFX, will it improve the speed of rendering?  For example, I have 3 series with 100,000 points for each series.  When I tried adding the lines:

chart.Data.Y.CompactFormula = CompactFormulas.Average

chart.Data.Compact(0.1) ' here I used the values, 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, and 1

and looked at the temp folder files, the size of the files .chs and .chw are the same when I run the different compacting  values.  So I'm assuming the speed is the same. 

In this case, what should be the best step here, should I process (create my own data summary) the data first from my database before putting it on the chart?

Any help is always appreciated!

Thanks!

Sherwin

Compacting data will speed up the paint but will not affect the size of the file as the original data is still kept so that data can be un-compacted through the UI.

If you want to reduce the amount of data the chart gets, you have to make this reduction prior to passing the data to the chart, for example, by adding a GROUP BY clause in your SQL query.