Software FX Community

Using a office addin - Can't run time license

RAD

I have been able to build a GUI exe that uses ChartFx.

I want to try providing the Windows form from the GUI through an Office add in which means making an office addin dll.

As per other posts I have tried adding a License.licx file to the office add in project (under rescources folder) I have looked at the output of the build and used refelctor and it appears to be there.

Howerer I get "the can't find run time license" exception on the intallation machine.

There are a number of projects in the solution and I have tried adding license to them as well. 

I am using C# on VS2005 running XP. I am installing onto VM ware virtual machines with Office 2003 and 2007.

I should point out we are not trying to "hide" the chartfx objects but are re-ditributing the dlls with our exe. We also generate excel addin dlls that use some of the classes from the exe project.

I have tried embedding the license as described elsewhere but it doesn't work.

Because your DLL is wrapping Chart FX and the EXE is Excel (or any other office client) whcich doesn't have a license of CHart FX you are getting this problem. Chart FX should run from your EXE without a problem because your EXE does contain the appropriate license information.

In order to be able to have a dll that uses Chart FX and runs in any generic container (such as office) you need a special license. Please contact Software FX sales for details.

ChartWrapperTest.zip

Thanks for the reply Frank. 

I have contacted sales and will try with a trial license string. 

In the meantime, are we actually wrapping here? We are re-distributing the dlls when installing our addin along with the standalone exe. What is the difference between calling chartfx dll from the exe and the dll? It has been stated somewhere on the site that this is a feature of .NET licensing but we use and re-distribute other 3rd party .NET dlls in the same way and there is no restriction.