Software FX Community

Aggregating values of one column by the values of another for a bar chart

cbg3

I have a list of objects, named EmailCampaign, as the datasource of a bar chart. The objects include two properties: EmailsSent (int), and ContentType (string). The value of the ContentType property can be "Newsletter", "Concept Piece", and others. What I want the bar chart to show is the aggregates of all the EmailsSent property values, with a different bar for each distinct value of the ContentType property. How can I accomplish this?

Thanks,

--Ben 

post-4987-13922403438907_thumb.jpg

Here is some sample data to show what I'm trying to accomplish:

class EmailCampaign{    private int emailsSent;    public int EmailsSent    {	    get { return emailsSent; }    }    private string contentType;    public string ContentType    {	    get { return contentType; }    }    public EmailCampaign(int emailsSent, string contentType)    {	    this.emailsSent = emailsSent;	    this.contentType = contentType;    }}

EmailCampaign[] emailCampaigns = new EmailCampaign[4];emailCampaigns[0] = new EmailCampaign(1, "Concept Piece");emailCampaigns[1] = new EmailCampaign(3, "Newsletter");emailCampaigns[2] = new EmailCampaign(4, "Newsletter");emailCampaigns[3] = new EmailCampaign(4, "Concept Piece");

As you can see, summing the values of the EmailsSent property for all the EmailCampaign instances where the value of the ContentType property is "Concept Piece" totals 5, and where the value is "Newsletter" totals 7. What I want to do somehow is to create a bar chart using the emailCampaigns array as a datasource that would in this case have one bar, labeled "Concept Piece," with a height of 5, and another bar, labeled "Newsletter" with a height of 7.