Software FX Community

Multi-Line issue

coesum

I am not certain if this is PowerGadgets related or PS, but when I attempt to create an out-chart using a multi-line PS command it locks the script until I close the chart and then continues but in unexpected ways.  For instance the line

Get-WmiObject -class Exchange_Mailbox -Namespace ROOT\MicrosoftExchangev2 `
 -ComputerName EMAIL | Select-Object MailboxDisplayName, Size, TotalItems `
 | sort Size -descending | select -first 20 | out-chart -Values Size, `
 TotalItems -Label MailboxDisplayName -template EmailReport | send-mail `
 -From PowerGadgets@domain.com -To user@domain.com -subject `
 "Top 20 Email Users" -Text "This is a test" -server email.domain.com

creates the Outchart correctly, but stops at that point and when I close the chart it emails the user but does not include the chart.  However if I put it all on one line like so

Get-WmiObject -class Exchange_Mailbox -Namespace ROOT\MicrosoftExchangev2 -ComputerName EMAIL | Select-Object MailboxDisplayName, Size, TotalItems | sort Size -descending | select -first 20 | out-chart -Values Size, TotalItems -Label MailboxDisplayName -template EmailReport | send-mail -From PowerGadgets@jdomain.com -To user@domain.com -subject "Top 20 Email Users" -Text "This is a test" -server email.domain.com

The script runs and the user gets the chart in email as expected.  Should I be doing a different method for multilining for readability?

You cannot split the lines in this case.  This is basically a PowerShell limitation currently:
http://community.softwarefx.com/forums/t/9104.aspx

You can, however, do different things to cut things down, but it will still require extra steps/scripting:
http://community.softwarefx.com/forums/t/9041.aspx

Other than that, you're left with possibly using the built-aliases like 'gwmi' instead of 'get-wmiobject'.  Most of the built-in cmdlets have aliases for their parameters.

PowerGadgets doesn't currently support shorter counterparts for the parameters, but it is something I've suggested before.