Software FX Community

Connecting to SQL DB

freitasm

Hello folks...

I am trying to connect to a SQL DB using SQL Authentication. I can connect if I use "sa", but I can't then issue commands such as "use [dbname]; [store procedure]" or any SQL statement for that matter (the DB ownership is not sa).

However when I try using a username and password the list of DB comes back empty, as if I wasn't logged in. The password contains non-alpha characters. Could this be the problem?

What do you mean when you say "I can connect if I use sa, but I can't then issue commands", do you get a valid DB list when using SA? Are you able to execute a simple SELECT query?

>> when I try using a username and password the list of DB comes back empty

Have you tried with more than 1 user/pwd combination? I do not think the non-alpha characters should be a problem but just in case can you clarify which kind of non-alpha characters are you using? If you do not want to post this info feel free to send an email to support at powergadgets dot com.

Regards,

JuanC

Thanks for your reply...

I have two SQL DB servers.

On my test server I connect using SA and issue a simple command such as "select top 10 post_count from users order by post_count desc". It correctly retrieves the information and shows in the chart.

In my production server I try to connect with a username/password (which contains "+"). If I connect with SA it shows the database, if I connect with [username] it doesn't show anything. Note that this [username] is the owner of my main database. If I try to simply enter the database name it won't allow me to click "NEXT".

If I use SA on my production server I can see the list of databases, which I can use to select the one I need. And now that I think of it, I can issue the query ""select top 10 post_count from users order by post_count desc" but I have to add the owner to the table name as in [username].[table]... So this is sorted, but...

I don't want to use SA!

I will probablt have to check permissions on my database... Interesting that [username] is the owner, but the database is not listed when logged in with that user.

We have fixed an issue related specifically to SQL Server 2005 that may prevent us from connecting, it seems to be related to permissions and the default database. It is NOT related to specific characters in the password.

We have an interim build that fixes the issue, please contact us at support at powergadgets dot com for details on how to get it.

Regards,

JuanC