Software FX Community

Text Wrap in Chart Titles?

gec

I have some charts with titles which are tuncated when they are too long. The titles are docked to the top of the chart and I have a legend box docked to the right. I been searching for some facility to automatically wrap the titles when they exceed the width of the chart plot area. Is there a wrap mode for titles?

I have tried with the titles PlotAreaOnly=false which I presumed would allow me to flow the long titles across the entire chart control region. However I find that the titles will flow to the left side of the chart control but stop at the right-side of the chart plot area. It seems that the title will flow until it hits the area reserved for the docked legend box even when the legend box contains a few items and doesn't appear near to the titles zone. Is this the correct result or am I missing something? Surely the PlotAreaOnly=false should allow my title to flow freely across the entire width of the chart.

I don't think I am asking much with a requirement to accomodate long titles for a chart. Surely I dont have to implement my own text wrapping routines (Is there even some APIs for me to establish the length my title to determine if it should be wrapped?)

Gec.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Okay wrapping titles is not supported, but what options are available then? Are there API's that can be used to detect if the text is being cut off? It is a bit of a nuisance that this happens and a few users of our application have been complaining about this issue.

Do you have any suggestions as to a possible work around?

Regards

...Casper

We are in a similar position where we have many users that have commented on the text not wrapping, font size not adjusting, etc. Text Wrapping would be the preferred path. We currently have no solution in the pipeline for this issue.  Would appreciate any idea/workarounds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

We are in a similar position where we have many users that have commented on the text not wrapping, font size not adjusting, etc. Text Wrapping would be the preferred path. We currently have no solution in the pipeline for this issue.  Would appreciate any idea/workarounds.

I've found that a hard return (/r/n) will cause the TitleDockable object to display multiple lines. I agree that wrapping would be the prefered solution, as there is no way to know ahead of time how wide the PlotArea is going to be, so you could still end up with truncated lines of text, even with hard returns.

post-4677-1392240633736_thumb.gif

Archived