Software FX Community

Form Template control for insert and update

jeffenglish

When the user selects to insert a new entry in the grid I want to display a custom form. I've been able to define the template in the Editing / Inserting / FormTemplate section of the GridFX control definition. I need to be able to do a few additional things that I haven't found a way to do yet:

1. Change the title that is displayed on the modalform from "Add data" to "Add Product"

2. Initialize some of the form fields in the modalform, similar to how I would do it for a web form in the Page_Load method. For example, I need to have the user provide data for additional fields that are not displayed in the grid and those fields require initialization.

3. If an error occurs, I want to set the text of the error message that is displayed by the GridFX control.

4. Is the ItemInserting action the correct place for me to make the calls to my business logic to add the records (setting e.Handled to true)?

Thanks for your help.

Hi, thanks for using Grid FX.  Your questions are great and I'm pretty psyched to answer them because 1-3 are addressed in an service pack we are finalizing right now.  The good news is that to achieve 1-3 is very easy, because we added APIs for the modal form title, modal form runtime control, and error message.  We are testing the heck out of the service pack at the moment, and if things go well, we'll release it this week.  Rather than give you the detailed answers to your questions, I'd rather wait until there is a version out for you to actually use them on.  So, I'll let you know as soon as we release, and I will include full answers.  If for some reason we delay the service pack (which is very possible), I can build a "hotfix", which is basically a temporary version that you could use in the interim.  Sound good?

Regarding question 4, yes, that's where you should do your work if you are doing a 'manual' data update.  Set Handled to true and you're good to go.

Archived