Software FX Community

Newbie RealTime chart question

mhowes

I have data that comes in real time.

I have 8 sets of data and I get a 8 x/y pairs at a time, one x/y pair for each series

I run, add the points, and nothing shows up in the chart.

Here is the function which I add a point at a time

chartFx.RealTime.BeginAddData(1, RealTimeAction.Append);   chartFx.Data.Y[Channel, this.pnts] = Y;   chartFx.Data.X[Channel, this.pnts] = X;   chartFx.RealTime.EndAddData(true, true);   pnts++;

also, I don't know how many points I'm going to get and would rather not keep around a counter. Is there a way to truely append?

I tried the folowing

chartFx.RealTime.BeginAddData(1, RealTimeAction.Append);   chartFx.Data.Y[Channel, 0] = Y;   chartFx.Data.X[Channel, 0] = X;   chartFx.RealTime.EndAddData(true, true); and nothing showed up as well

any help appreciated

thanks

mike

This is the correct code:

chartFx.RealTime.BeginAddData(1, RealTimeAction.Append);

chartFx.Data.Y[Channel, 0] = Y;

chartFx.Data.X[Channel, 0] = X;

chartFx.RealTime.EndAddData(true, true);

I don't know why you are not getting anything to show. I tried here and it shows just fine.

Please attach a project that reproduces the problem.

I am a good bit confused right now.

I commented out all the RealTime specific code. So I removed the BufferSize setting, the RealTimeMode and the Begin and End AddData, leaving this for adding point

chartFx.Data.X[Channel, this.pnts] = X;   chartFx.Data.Y[Channel, this.pnts] = Y;

the chart works fine in this case.

but a couple general questions

First, I have both the X and Y axis AutoScale set to true. Does this work with RealTime charts?

Next, the only issue with doing it without RealTime (this is a guess on my part) is speed? The chart seems terribly slow. Even for the Form that the chart is one to initially display with no data points takes a good couple seconds. I'm replacing an old chart with ChartFX and the old chart seems a good 3X to 4X faster.

This is before points even get added to the chart. I'm not doing an 3D, it's a line chart with no markers, and no point labels

and lastly if the chart is working with the above to add the X/Y pair and AutoScale turned on, shouldn't all I have to do is add a buffersize (do I even have to do that?) add a Mode and wrap the the point adding in the Begin and End?  Well I guess I can remove the pnts counter and replace it with 0

thanks

mike

One more piece of info. For kicks when I was trying to figure out what is wrong with my realtime charts

I turned on the datagrid and all the data is in the charts datagrid and looks fine

Then I turned on point labels and I see that all the points are basically bunched up with the correct Y values but all the X values are essentially zero

I'm really starting to get the feeling it has to do with the fact that I'm adding an X/Y pair using Data.X and Data.Y

all the examples are something like this

chart1.Data[0, 0] = -50 + r.NextDouble() * 100;   chart1.Data[1, 0] = -50 + r.NextDouble() * 100;

Archived