Software FX Community

Development vs Production Installation

MattB

Hi,

If what I'm about to ask is covered in the documentation then please forgive me but here goes ...

I'm using Chart FX 6.2 on VS2003 (v6.2.1342.0). On my development machine I've installed using the "Development" option. Everything is working fine so no problems there.

We've got a server on which (I believe) the "production" version has been installed (i.e. : Chart FX has been installed with the "Production" option). Everything is fine except for one thing. When an interactive chart is rendered the browser shows nothing (normal jpg renderings are fine). IE6 reports an exception saying "Object not found" so I'm guessing this is an issue around the download dll's in the \ChartX62\Download area ? (but I'm really guessing here).

I have 2 questions :

1. Who can you tell which version (i.e. "dev" or "prod" is installed) of Chart FX is installed.

2. Any ideas why my interactive charts aren't rendering against the "production" dlls.

Any help or advice greatly recevied,

Matt

> 1. Who can you tell which version (i.e. "dev" or "prod" is installed) of Chart FX is installed.

Hit the page from another computer. If you have the Development Version you will see a message embedded within the Chart Image.

> 2. Any ideas why my interactive charts aren't rendering against the "production" dlls.

It seems something went wrong when downloading the component. Check the following KB for troubleshooting tips:

Q6121017. Troubleshooting the Client Component of ChartFX.NetURL: http://support.softwarefx.com/ShowArticleSep.aspx?Type=KB&Product=CfxNet62&Source=http://support.softwarefx.com/kb/612/1/017.htm?_r=1 

Q6141001. Security settings required by the .NET client controlURL: http://support.softwarefx.com/ShowArticle.aspx?Type=KB&Product=CfxNet70&Source=http://support.softwarefx.com/kb/614/1/001.htm?_r=1

It looks like the solution to my problem was relatively straight forward (i.e : no IIS tweaking or any other type of "non file" configuration change). I'll post what I did just in case anyone else has this problem in the future :

To give you the full story:

1. I deployed my local build of the application to a new virtual dir on the same server that was originally giving me the problem with the non display of interactive charts. This new web app displayed interactive charts with no problem. The non interactive chart displaying version of the app was still not working.

2. I compared the /bin folder of the 2 virtual dirs and noticed a file called "ChartFX.Internet.Config" at the same level as the other ChartFX assemblies in the non-working applications virtual dir but this file was not in the new working app's dir - so we had a definite difference.

3. I renamed the ChartFX.Internet.Config to something else just to make sure ChartFX wouldn't pick it up and suddenly the non-working app was displaying its interactive charts. I renamed the file back and again we were back to the interactive charts not working again.

4. The contents of the file looked like :

<CfxIESettings> <Relative>/ChartFX62/Temp</Relative> <AxCompat>True</AxCompat></CfxIESettings>

so myself and a colleague changed this to

<CfxIESettings> <Relative>/ChartFX62/Temp</Relative> <AxCompat>False</AxCompat></CfxIESettings>

... refresh on the the application page again showed that Interactive charts now working again so obviously this config file is very important to the whole interactive chart rendering process.

I'm happy that this is now working but I if possible I would like some guidance on 

i) ChartFX.Internet.Config - could you give a wee bit of background on this file or point me to a knowledge base article/other post which explains about this config file. I'm guessing the <AxCompat> element is something to do with COM-backwards compatibility ?

ii) Is there a way of setting the location where ChartFX stores it jog charts on the server. I know the <Relative> element in the ChartFX.Internet.Config file contains the relative path but is there a way of specfying the absolute path on the web server.

Apologies if all of this is in the help files but I couldn't find it (searching for "ChartFX.Internet.Config" in the help file that integrates with Visual Studio gave me 158 topic non of which had "ChartFX.Internet.Config" in the title)

Thanks,

Matt

Archived