Software FX Community

Failed to map the path

Miguel

All the sudden today I am starting to get the error below when running web applications with ChartFX.

We are using ChartFX version 7.0.2424.18037 under Windows XP (development computer). Is this a known issue with this release?

Failed to map the path '/chartfx70/download/ChartFX.NetIEClient.dll'.

[invalidOperationException: Failed to map the path '/chartfx70/download/ChartFX.NetIEClient.dll'.]

System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.MapPathActual(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean permitNull) +3639252

System.Web.VirtualPath.MapPathInternal() +41

System.Web.HttpRequest.MapPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, VirtualPath baseVirtualDir, Boolean allowCrossAppMapping) +122

System.Web.HttpServerUtility.MapPath(String path) +60

ChartFX.WebForms.Internal.e.a(String A_0, Boolean A_1) +510

ChartFX.WebForms.Internal.g.a(Stream A_0, OutputText A_1, OutputInfo A_2) +160

ChartFX.WebForms.Internal.OutputScript.a(Stream A_0, OutputText A_1, OutputInfo A_2) +39

ChartFX.WebForms.Chart.a(Stream A_0, IOutputWriter A_1, OutputText A_2, OutputText A_3, OutputInfo A_4) +1048

ChartFX.WebForms.Chart.a(OutputText A_0, OutputText A_1, Boolean A_2, String A_3, String A_4) +410

ChartFX.WebForms.Chart.Render(HtmlTextWriter output) +70

System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +25

System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +121

System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +22

System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +130

System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +24

System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +7

System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +25

System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +121

System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +130

System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +29

System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +59

System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.Render(HtmlTextWriter output) +68

System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +37

System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +26

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1896

post-2932-13922400431307_thumb.jpg

I just found out that last night some Microsoft security patches were applied to all the desktops here. The patches are: MS07-040 and MS07-041. Could this be causing the problem?

In case it helps, find below the .NET version we are using: 

Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.832; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.832

Thanks. Miguel

Probably the error came because you restarted your computer and changes you made in the past are only being reflected now.

chartfx70

Must be a virtual folder in your IIS manager. Make sure it is there and pointing to the right place. Looks like you may have removed it.

Thanks for the tip, but I think it probably has to do with the Microsoft security patches, and I believe SoftwareFX has solved this issue in the latest service pack. This is what I have done to come to this conclusion:

The chartfx70 virtual folder is there.

I uninstalled and installed again version 7.2424, and the problem is still there.

I also noticed that after the Microsoft patch I get an error if I run the following code (that used to work before): Request.MapPath("/"). However the following code used to work and still works fine after the MS patch: Request.MapPath("~/")

I also tried upgrading to the lastest ChartFX version 7.2664, and the problem is gone.

I wonder if SoftwreFX went from using Request.MapPath("/chartfx70/download/ChartFX.NetIEClient.dll") in 7.2424 to using Request.MapPath("~/chartfx70/download/ChartFX.NetIEClient.dll") in the latest version.

Would you happen to know if this is true? 

Thanks. Miguel

Nevermind my previous post, after some more time looking into this issue I believe the problem has nothing to do with that.

How does ChartFX know if the web application is running under Visual Studio web server or under ISS? Find below the code generated by ChartFX when running the web application under Visual Studio. Could this be causing the problem? Why is it trying to use the PSS virtual directory? Shouldn't it be referencing a javascript file within the application virtual directory instead (/app_name/chartfx70/temp/CFT0718_0456063A70D.js)?

Thanks again.

<div>

<script src="/chartfx70/pss/ChartFX.aspx?id=0-071816411&type=js&mime=application%2fx-javascript"></script>

<script>cfx_replaceChart1();</script>

</div>

Unfortunatelly I do not want to update to the latest ChartFX version, unless it is really required. This is a big organisation, and upgrading ChartFX on all the servers would mean a lot of time and effort. It just stop to work on one of our developer's cdesktop. Is there anything I could change in the registry or config files to let ChartFX know that it is running under Visual Studio?

Why would version 7.0.2424 stop working from one day to the next? I will try applying the latest Visual Studio SP.

Thanks again. Miguel

Miguel,

We certainly didn't put a timer that will trigger at midnight and break everything :-) so the "stop working from one day to the next" must be due to something that changed from one day to the next.

The version you have was released BEFORE VS 2005 SP 1, so although I am not aware of any problems, I honestly don't know whether this older version you have has any issues with VS 2005 SP1.

The best way I see to go about this is to install the SP in one computer and if it fixes the problem then you will know. 

Archived