Software FX Community

MouseMove event args not returning point when mouse is over the label

Mike O'Neal

I am trying to set up a Gantt style chart where the point label from the data appears to the left of the chart. Some of the names are really long and I need to truncate them for display to prevent it from pushing the chart size down to nothing. I am trying to adjust the tooltip over the label on the x axis (now on the left in the Gannt chart) to show the full value by using the MouseMove event to determine I am over the axis area and the GetTip event to adjust the label to the full value. When I mouse over the label, the point is always returned as -1 instead of the correct point in both events. However, when I mouse over the datagrid column header for the same thing, both events return the correct point value.

How do I determine which point it is so I can go get the correct value from my datasource?

For performance reasons, the HitTest is not done during a MouseMove, therefore Series and Point will always be -1 during this event.

What you should do is simply store X and Y in the MouseMove event and then, during GetTip call HitTest with these values to determine the closest label. The following code snippet illustrates how to do this:

private int m_lastMouseX,m_lastMouseY;private void chart1_MouseMove (object sender,HitTestEventArgs e)

{

m_lastMouseX = e.X;

m_lastMouseY = e.Y;

}

private void chart1_GetTip (object sender,GetTipEventArgs e) {

HitTestEventArgs a = chart1.HitTest(m_lastMouseX,m_lastMouseY);  if ((a.HitType == HitType.Axis) && (a.Object == chart1.AxisX)) {

int closestLabel = (int) Math.Round(a.Value);   e.Text = "Long Label " + closestLabel.ToString();

}

}

Thanks!!!

I was able to get what I needed with that. The piece of info I didn't understand was that the Value is returning a number that is the proportional distance up the x axis.

Some additional info: 

Because I needed to determine which point I was on and refer back to the datasource to get the correct value, I used the following code in the GetTip() event to fix the tooltip only if I was on a point label in the axis.

private void chart1_GetTip(object sender, GetTipEventArgs e)

{

if (e.Object == chart1.AxisX)

{

if (e.Text.Length > 0)

{

HitTestEventArgs e1 = chart1.HitTest(m_lastMouseX , m_lastMouseY);

int currentPoint = (int)Math.Floor(e1.Value); if (currentPoint < ((DataView)chart1.DataSource).Count)

{

e.Text = (string)((DataView)chart1.DataSource)[currentPoint]["Long Field Name"];

}

}

}

}

Archived