Jump to content
Software FX Community

installing Chart Fx client manually: what files are installed & registry setting updated.


User (Legacy)
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I need to deploy the ChartFX client side .cab manually at a client

site--their workstations are tightly secured and do not allow downloading of

ActiveX components.

I have already read:

Q1411007. Installing the ChartFX IE ActiveX with Annotation Extension

manually in a machine

If they do not allow the distribution & execution of CfxIEAxSetup.exe via

their system management platform, is there somewhere that I can get

directions on manually installing the contents of CfxIEAx.cab? Additionally,

my client has requested a list of what files (& their locations) will be

installed, and what registry settings are updated.

Thx, TB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can create your own installer where you place CfxIEAx.ocx and SfxBar.dll

any where on the hard drive you want and register them using regsvr32. We

place CfxIEAx.ocx in the "C:\WinNT\Download Program Files" folder and

SfxBar.dll at C:\Program Files\Common Files\SoftwareFX Shared\ but if you

want to place them somewhere else then you can.

JT

Tech. Support

"T Bygate" <Terry.Bygate@SynapseTechnology.Com> wrote in message

news:$OhpIIgVDHA.2896@WEBSERVER1...

> Hi,

>

> I need to deploy the ChartFX client side .cab manually at a client

> site--their workstations are tightly secured and do not allow downloading

of

> ActiveX components.

>

> I have already read:

> Q1411007. Installing the ChartFX IE ActiveX with Annotation Extension

> manually in a machine

>

> If they do not allow the distribution & execution of CfxIEAxSetup.exe via

> their system management platform, is there somewhere that I can get

> directions on manually installing the contents of CfxIEAx.cab?

Additionally,

> my client has requested a list of what files (& their locations) will be

> installed, and what registry settings are updated.

>

> Thx, TB.

>

>

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the CfxIEAx.cab file, there are several other files:

CfxIEAx.inf

CfxIEReg.exe

SfxBarInf.txt

If I use regsvr32 to register CfxIEAx.ocx and SfxBar.dll, do I need to do

anything with these files, especially the inf files?

Thx, TB.

"SFX Tech Support" <support@softwarefx.com> wrote in message

news:w4EHEvhVDHA.1484@WEBSERVER1...

> You can create your own installer where you place CfxIEAx.ocx and

SfxBar.dll

> any where on the hard drive you want and register them using regsvr32. We

> place CfxIEAx.ocx in the "C:\WinNT\Download Program Files" folder and

> SfxBar.dll at C:\Program Files\Common Files\SoftwareFX Shared\ but if you

> want to place them somewhere else then you can.

>

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CfxIEAx.inf is the "script" that controls the installation process when the

control is downloaded by IE. You don't need to worry about this file in a

manual installation.

CfxIEReg.exe has two purposes. It registers the ChartFX palettes (see the

"HKLM\Software\Software FX, Inc.\ChartFX Internet Edition\Palettes" registry

key) and it also contains a hack to make sure IE will consider SfxBar

dependent of the Main ChartFX Client Control.

You do need the palette registration so you can choose between running

CfxIEReg or exporting the previously mentioned registry key and adding the

values manually.

SfxBarInf.txt is also part of the "script" that controls the installation

process when the control is downloaded by IE. You don't need to worry about

this file in a manual installation.

Bottom line: If you register CfxIEAx.ocx and SfxBar.dll and either run

CfxIEreg.exe or manually register the palette entries you should be ok.

Note that if you use annotation or other ChartFX extensions you may need to

register more files.

Also note that SfxBar.dll may be redistributed by other programs that use

ChartFX client server so if possible you may want to install it in our

default location (Common Files\Software FX Shared), doing this would ensure

that you do not register a version of sfxbar.dll older than one used by

ChartFX client server and possibly break installed apps.

--

Regards,

JC

Software FX Support

"T Bygate" <Terry.Bygate@SynapseTechnology.Com> wrote in message

news:S3WOHJDWDHA.228@WEBSERVER1...

> In the CfxIEAx.cab file, there are several other files:

> CfxIEAx.inf

> CfxIEReg.exe

> SfxBarInf.txt

>

> If I use regsvr32 to register CfxIEAx.ocx and SfxBar.dll, do I need to do

> anything with these files, especially the inf files?

>

> Thx, TB.

>

>

> "SFX Tech Support" <support@softwarefx.com> wrote in message

> news:w4EHEvhVDHA.1484@WEBSERVER1...

> > You can create your own installer where you place CfxIEAx.ocx and

> SfxBar.dll

> > any where on the hard drive you want and register them using regsvr32.

We

> > place CfxIEAx.ocx in the "C:\WinNT\Download Program Files" folder and

> > SfxBar.dll at C:\Program Files\Common Files\SoftwareFX Shared\ but if

you

> > want to place them somewhere else then you can.

> >

>

>

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...