Software FX Community

What is the type of AxisFormat.Time?

jamescway

I have a DataTable with a Time column. What format or type should I make this column?

I tried playing with using the DateTime type which does work, but the date is stored as well in the form of (1/1/1001 hh:mm:ss) which I don't want, just the time.

I saw that there was a an AxisFormat.Time and AxisFormat.DateTime. What is the difference between these two types and how do you use the AxisFormat.Time with a datasource? I tried to find the answer on the forums, but was unable to.

I also tried to create the column as a DateTime, and pass the time using ToOATime(). On the chart I set it up this way:

_chartCtrl.AxisX.LabelsFormat.Format = AxisFormat.Time;

_chartCtrl.AxisX.LabelsFormat.CustomFormat = "mm:ss";

But instead of showing mm:ss it doesn't seem to recognize the passed value and just prints out the double value of the OATime.

Thanks,

James

Following is a sample showing how to accomplish what you want. It loads Y (values) and X (date time) data and then it sets the format of the X-Axis to show minutes and seconds.Additionally,  are the differences between Date/Time Axis Formats: - AxisFormat.Time = shows time labels.- AxisFormat.Date = shows date labels.- AxisFormat.DateTime = shows both date and time labelsprivate void DateAxisX_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)   {   chart1.Data.Series = 3;   chart1.Data.Points = 5;   Random ran = new Random();   DateTime mydate = DateTime.Now;   //Loads Chart FX data   for (int j = 0; j < chart1.Data.Points; j++)   {   for (int i = 0; i < chart1.Data.Series; i++)   {   chart1.Data.Y[i, j] = ran.NextDouble() * 100;   chart1.Data.X[i, j] = mydate.ToOADate();   }   mydate = mydate.AddMinutes(ran.Next(7, 23));   }   chart1.LegendBox.Visible = false;   chart1.AxisX.AutoScroll = true;   chart1.AxisX.PixelsPerUnit = 1000;   //Axis Labels format   chart1.AxisX.LabelsFormat.Format = AxisFormat.Time;   chart1.AxisX.LabelsFormat.CustomFormat = "hh:mm tt";   chart1.AxisX.Step = 1 / 60;   }

Regards RB

Thanks for the reply Rogelio!

This is actually very similar to the method that I ended up figuring out except I am using a datasource for the chart (DataTable). I was forced to make one of the columns a DateTime which works fine using the custom format "hh:mm:ss". The problem is that when I save this datatable it saves the entire date time 2009-03-04T00:00:00-08:00 when all I really need is just the time. I was hoping I could pass just a string or something instead that AxisFormat.Time will be able to understand, but I wasn't able to figure that out.

Maybe I can use some type of xmlwriter function to save it, but I haven't figured out how to do that either.