Software FX Community

How to downgrade ChartFX

Karaage

Hello, from Japan

I installed ChartFX from the install-disc in my computer, and updating ChartFX via Resource Center.But I would like to downgrade ChartFX to the version before updating.

I wasnot able to downgrade though I installed again after uninstalled it.

Thanks.

Make sure that before reinstalling the product the ChartFX installation folder was removed from the Program Files folder; otherwise, remove it. If this folder is still present, ChartFX will not overwrite the existing binaries.

Why are you trying to downgrade anyways? Are you having any problems?

post-3434-13922403152389_thumb.gif

maximop, Thank you for your response.

I was able to downgrade the ChartFX by your advice.

As to why I thought to downgrade. It's because InvalidOperationException occurred when my program was executed after updated the ChartFX, and I wanted to investigate this cause.

Maybe, I think that it's a problems of Assembly Versioning mechanism of .NET Framework.But this mechanism was not understood well. I wanted to examine it.

Is there any notes about updating the ChartFX?

When you apply a Service Pack, the first thing you need to bare in mind is to close any instance of ChartFX and Visual Studio. This will ensure that all binaries, including the designer ones, are properly updated.

Please note that only the binaries in your ChartFX installation will be updated. You will need to manually reference these libraries to your existing projects. If you are using WebForms, you also need to ensure that the Download folder inside ChartFX70 has the same versioning as the other .dlls.

If you are reinstalling the product with the latest installer, you need to ensure that all files/folders were properly removed; if not, you will need to remove them as I specify before. The same procedure will apply for existing projects in which you will need to re-reference the ChartFX .dlls.

Ok, I understood it.

Though it's necessary to re-reference to the ChartFX DLLs manually. Is there a method of re-reference to the ChartFX DLLs automatically if updates?

I rewrote my project file(.vbproj) as follows. And I tried to update the ChartFX.

original

<Reference Include="ChartFX.WinForms.Adornments, Version=old_version_number, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a1878e2052c08dce" />

rewrite

<Reference Include="ChartFX.WinForms.Adornments" />

It was able to build my application, and my application was executed with no errors.

Does this method have a problem?

files.zip

Yes, your application compiled since the ChartFX .dlls were already in the bin folder of your project; however, this method is not recommended for the following reasons:

1) Application compiles because it finds a .dlls with the ChartFX.WinForms.Adornments name; however, it is now not checking for the version of the .dll therefore using the one you already have in your project and not the new one.

2) The .NET Framework needs this information, especially the PublicKeyToken. This may have compiled and even ran on your machine where ChartFX resides but you may have issues when deploying it.

In the other words, you should not edit such information. The proper way to re-reference the .dlls was shown before. You can alternatively set the "Copy Local" property of the ChartFX libraries to false; however, you will later need to manually add them when you deploy your application.

Archived