Software FX Community

BoxPlot + Annotations

ARissing

I'm currently trying to apply annotations to a boxplot chart.  I'm having a bit of a problem because the x-axis is not binding a proper min/max and subsequently I do not have the proper positions to place the annotations.  My data is in the following form:

1/2006 2/2006 3/2006 4/2006
1.023 1.205 1.231 1.344
1.223 1.205 1.245 1.145
... ... ... ...

The columns are the dates, which is part of the problem I believe.  It doesn't seem that the X-axis is bound whatsoever.  What I'm trying to achieve is that the Y-axis is the values of the quartiles (hence the box plots) and the x-axis is the time progression of the data.

The examples and the comments I've seen on the forums don't work with the boxplot in this fashion.  Without the X-axis properly bound, I cannot determine the x/y positions to place my annotations on the graph.  Am I missing something or am I just out of luck?

For this special cases where your data is in tabular format you may use our Crosstab feature. Crosstab changes your data in a Chart FX compatible format as follows:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1/2006 1.023 1.2232/2006 1.205 1.2053/2006 1.231 1.2454/2006 1.344 1.145

Then automatically the Dates will be placed in a categorical X axis, the other two columns will be placed as two series in the Y Axis.Here is some code I took from the Resource Center, I hope it helps:

//This sample takes the data in tabular format and converts it into columnar format, resulting in a chart that//Populating the Chart from databasestring mySelectQuery = "SELECT Product,Year,Sales from ProductSales";string dataPath = Path.Combine(Application.StartupPath, "Samples.mdb");string myConnectionString = string.Format("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source={0};", dataPath);System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection myConnection = new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection(myConnectionString);System.Data.DataSet ds = new System.Data.DataSet();System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter adapter = new System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(mySelectQuery, myConnection);adapter.Fill(ds, "ProductSales");

// Create and configure the Crosstab data providerDataTableProvider dt = new DataTableProvider(ds.Tables[0]);CrosstabDataProvider cfxCT = new CrosstabDataProvider();cfxCT.DataSource = dt;

// Instruct Chart FX how to use the fields in the Crosstab. Refer to the Resource Center documentation// for further details.chart1.DataSourceSettings.Fields.Add(new FieldMap("Product", FieldUsage.ColumnHeading));chart1.DataSourceSettings.Fields.Add(new FieldMap("Year", FieldUsage.RowHeading));chart1.DataSourceSettings.Fields.Add(new FieldMap("Sales", FieldUsage.Value));chart1.DataSource = cfxCT;

If you have any questions send me an email to Support@SoftwareFX.com  

Archived