Software FX Community

use software fx gauges in a javax.swing.JPanel

enrico

Hi,

Please note that Chart FX 7 for Java was designed and intended to be used in a web server context only. While it still is possible to use our component sin a swing application (after all Chart FX is java bean), there is no licensing scenario for Chart FX 7 for Java Server that contemplates redistribution in a standalone application. Therefore, the use of our server products on a Swing based Java app is not supported.

Currently we are getting ready to realease the beta of our Chart FX 7 for Javav Desktop, a charting solution for Swing based apps. The install;er should be available in our websita in a couple of days. Unfortunately, the beta does not include the Gauges components. While those will indeed be included in the package eventually, it may still be a few months away.

Regards,

TT

post-5341-13922406337842_thumb.png

Hi,

So, i can't already integrate your libraries in my swing panel.

Nevertheless, i would be interested in the future (also few months away) in integration and trying the new version of Chart Fx (gauges included).

In regards to that, i would like to know:

- How will it be possible to integrate gauges in a swing panel ?

- Will it be possible to refresh the gauges value with frequency of about 1000 Hz for real-time applications ?

- Have you an idea of licensing and pricing  ? 

Best Regards,Enrico 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

In regards to your questions:

- How will it be possible to integrate gauges in a swing panel ?

Chart FX will integarte with NetBeans IDE and the most poipular GUI deigners in the Eclipse patform. Once you have CHart FX installed, you should just be able to select the control from the designer palette and drop the chart in your panel. If you want to get an Idea of how it will work for gauges, I suggest downloading the beta version of Chart FX 7 for Java Desktop which we just released.

- Will it be possible to refresh the gauges value with frequency of about 1000 Hz for real-time applications ?

Well it will mostly depend on the application, but i would say that you may have problems getting the chart to refresh its value that many times per second. Please remember that you will have to refresh the data at that rate. Also, at a visual level, a frequency of 1000Hz will not make real time representation smoother that say a 10Hz rate.

- Have you an idea of licensing and pricing  ? 

Not at this point. Please make sure to check our website or ask again in a few weeks.

Thanks.

TT

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  

I've downloaded chart fx (version 7) from website (the binary file for the linux version I have installed is named versioncfxjava7trial.bin).

Once I've installed the binary on my pc, I' ve copied the plugins files for eclipse from the chart fx installation folder to my eclipse installation folder. Then I've restarted eclipse with -clean option and I've verified that softwarefx plugin has been installed, but unfortunately not correctly. Infact, while I can create a new SoftwareFx file, for example a new_chart.cfx file,  when  I  click on this, the following exception appears on char designer editor:

java.lang.NullPointerException
  at com.softwarefx.beans.property.PropertiesPane.addPropertyChangeListener(SourceFile:71)
  at javax.swing.plaf.synth.SynthPanelUI.installListeners(SynthPanelUI.java:49)
  at javax.swing.plaf.synth.SynthPanelUI.installUI(SynthPanelUI.java:38)
  at javax.swing.JComponent.setUI(JComponent.java:673)
  at javax.swing.JPanel.setUI(JPanel.java:136)
  at javax.swing.JPanel.updateUI(JPanel.java:109)
  at javax.swing.JPanel.<init>(JPanel.java:69)
  at javax.swing.JPanel.<init>(JPanel.java:78)
  at com.softwarefx.beans.property.PropertiesPane.<init>(SourceFile:28)
  at com.softwarefx.designer.DesignerComponent.<init>(Unknown Source)
  at com.softwarefx.designer.DesignerComponent.<init>(Unknown Source)
  at SoftwareFX.ChartFX.Designer.Eclipse.editors.ChartFXBaseEditor.createPartControl(ChartFXBaseEditor.java:79)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPartHelper(EditorReference.java:661)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPart(EditorReference.java:426)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:592)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartPane.setVisible(PartPane.java:299)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.PresentablePart.setVisible(PresentablePart.java:179)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.PresentablePartFolder.select(PresentablePartFolder.java:268)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.LeftToRightTabOrder.select(LeftToRightTabOrder.java:65)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.TabbedStackPresentation.selectPart(TabbedStackPresentation.java:400)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.refreshPresentationSelection(PartStack.java:1256)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.setSelection(PartStack.java:1209)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.showPart(PartStack.java:1604)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.add(PartStack.java:499)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorStack.add(EditorStack.java:103)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.add(PartStack.java:485)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorStack.add(EditorStack.java:112)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorSashContainer.addEditor(EditorSashContainer.java:63)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorAreaHelper.addToLayout(EditorAreaHelper.java:217)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorAreaHelper.addEditor(EditorAreaHelper.java:207)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.createEditorTab(EditorManager.java:774)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.openEditorFromDescriptor(EditorManager.java:673)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.openEditor(EditorManager.java:634)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditorBatched(WorkbenchPage.java:2719)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2633)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$12(WorkbenchPage.java:2625)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$10.run(WorkbenchPage.java:2577)
  at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:67)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2572)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2556)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2547)
  at org.eclipse.ui.ide.IDE.openEditor(IDE.java:644)
  at org.eclipse.ui.ide.IDE.openEditor(IDE.java:603)
  at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.javaeditor.EditorUtility.openInEditor(EditorUtility.java:285)
  at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.javaeditor.EditorUtility.openInEditor(EditorUtility.java:138)
  at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.OpenAction.run(OpenAction.java:194)
  at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.OpenAction.run(OpenAction.java:175)
  at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.SelectionDispatchAction.dispatchRun(SelectionDispatchAction.java:268)
  at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.SelectionDispatchAction.run(SelectionDispatchAction.java:244)
  at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.packageview.PackageExplorerActionGroup.handleOpen(PackageExplorerActionGroup.java:316)
  at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.packageview.PackageExplorerPart$5.open(PackageExplorerPart.java:613)
  at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$2.run(StructuredViewer.java:820)
  at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:37)
  at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:857)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.JFaceUtil$1.run(JFaceUtil.java:46)
  at org.eclipse.jface.util.SafeRunnable.run(SafeRunnable.java:193)
  at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.fireOpen(StructuredViewer.java:818)
  at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.handleOpen(StructuredViewer.java:1079)
  at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$6.handleOpen(StructuredViewer.java:1183)
  at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.fireOpenEvent(OpenStrategy.java:263)
  at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.access$2(OpenStrategy.java:257)
  at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy$1.handleEvent(OpenStrategy.java:297)
  at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
  at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1101)
  at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3319)
  at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2971)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2389)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2353)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2219)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$4.run(Workbench.java:466)
  at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:289)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:461)
  at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
  at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:106)
  at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:153)
  at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:106)
  at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:76)
  at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:363)
  at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:176)
  at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
  at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
  at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
  at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
  at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:504)
  at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:443)
  at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1169) file:///home/enrico/Desktop/screenshot.png

Which is the correct installation procedure on Eclipse (my Eclipse version is 3.3.).

I haven't found enough suggests for Eclipse installation in the documentation.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Enrico

• 9 months later...