Software FX Community

Unable to cast object of type 'ChartFX.WinForms.Adornments.SimpleBorder' to type 'ChartFX.WinForms.Internal.IAdornment'

mad_flavas

Has anyone had this exception on the designer before with a ChartFX.Winforms.Chart control?  I have a user control that has a number of these controls added and when I open in the designer, I get this error.  The code can be compiled and run however with no problem.

Full stack trace:

One or more errors encountered while loading the designer. The errors are listed below. Some errors can be fixed by rebuilding your project, while others may require code changes.

Unable to cast object of type 'ChartFX.WinForms.Adornments.SimpleBorder' to type 'ChartFX.WinForms.Internal.IAdornment'.

Hide

at ChartFX.WinForms.Internal.DockableFrameCore.a(Boolean A_0, IPersistBase A_1)

at ChartFX.WinForms.a9.a(Object A_0, String A_1, ObjFlags A_2, Int64 A_3)

at ChartFX.WinForms.a9.a(String A_0, Object A_1, String A_2, ObjFlags A_3)

at ChartFX.WinForms.Chart.a(Boolean A_0, IPersistBase A_1, Boolean A_2)

at ChartFX.WinForms.Chart.c(Boolean A_0, IPersistBase A_1)

at ChartFX.WinForms.Chart.Import(FileFormat format, Stream stream)

at ChartFX.WinForms.Chart..ctor(SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)

This seems to be a bug in the VS WinForms designer. 

I took this project, opened it in VS 2005 and build it.

Then I can go to open ChartFXDataFX.vb in the designer and I see the chart. No error.

I can run the app. No error.

When I try to open the form containing the User Control then I get the error.

The solution, I think will be to put the Custom control into a separate assembly and then include it in the form from the assembly rather than directly from the source.

That's exactly the problem we are having... opening the form in the designer.  The sample I sent you is a stripped down version of what we have produced here.  The actual Form is comprised of many other .NET controls that we can no longer manipulate in the designer due to the exception.  The actual ChartDataFX control is in a seperate assembly in our application, and we still have the design time error. 

I've attached another sample with the custom control in a seperate assembly... same exception.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

This bug has been reported to our development team. Please contact support to supportATsoftwarefx.com so they can send you an update once this bug has been fixed.

Hi!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I recently updated the application of one of our clients to the latest version of Chart FX 7.

I work in Visual Studio 2010 and I have the same issue as mentioned back in 2007.

Error

Ignore and Continue

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />

Why am I seeing this page?

Unable to cast object of type 'ChartFX.WinForms.Adornments.SimpleBorder' to type 'ChartFX.WinForms.Internal.IAdornment'.

Instances of this error (1)

Hide Call Stack

at ChartFX.WinForms.Internal.DockableFrameCore.a(Boolean A_0, IPersistBase A_1)

at ChartFX.WinForms.r.a(Object A_0, String A_1, ObjFlags A_2, Int64 A_3)

at ChartFX.WinForms.r.a(String A_0, Object A_1, String A_2, ObjFlags A_3)

at ChartFX.WinForms.Chart.a(Boolean A_0, IPersistBase A_1, Boolean A_2)

at ChartFX.WinForms.Chart.c(Boolean A_0, IPersistBase A_1)

at ChartFX.WinForms.Chart.Import(FileFormat format, Stream stream)

at ChartFX.WinForms.Chart..ctor(SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)

Help with this error

Could not find an associated help topic for this error. Check Windows Forms Design-Time error list

Forum posts about this error

Search the MSDN Forums for posts related to this error

Does anyone figure out the cause and the solution?

The interesting thing that One (1) out of Three (3) forms the Chart FX is used on does not have such problem.

Thanks in advance, for any information.

Alex

Archived