Software FX Community

Installation - Error Creating Control - Unable to cast object of type System.Web.UI.UserControl

pactis

I just installed GridFX (1.0.2734.17954) and when I try to add it to a User Control the following error appears:

Error Creating Control - Unable to cast object of type System.Web.UI.UserControl to type System.Web.UI.Page

I am able to add it to an .aspx page but my application requires User Controls.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Thank you very much for your interest in Grid FX.

I have confirmed this issue to be a bug. It has been submitted to our development team to be fixed. As soon as development updates the bug report; I will then relay this information back to you and provide you with a Hotfix or Service Pack.

Regards.

• 7 months later...

I am using Grid Fx for the first time. I use Visual Studio 2008.

When I drag a grid to a user control (*.aspx.cs) I get:

Error Creating Control - Grid

Failed to create desinger 'GridFX.WebFOrms.Grid,GridFX.WebForms,Version 1.0.2799.23418 etc.

Is this still an unresolved bug?

No, that bug was resolved long ago.  If you look, the date was march 2007.  I got a little confused myself :)

Your situation is likely due to the dlls missing or being incorrect.  Plus I noticed you have an earlier version of the product.  I recommend going to http://support.softwarefx.com/ProductBase.aspx?Product=GridFX10 and updating to the latest service pack.  Once your dlls are updated, try creating a user control and dragging a Grid onto it.  Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for using Grid FX!

• 3 weeks later...

I downloaded and installed a new grid version.

When I put a grid on a web form or user control I get the error:

Error Creating Control - Grid1

Failed to create designer 'GridFX.WebForms.Grid, GridFX.WebForms, Version=1.0.2986.27353, Culture-neutral, PublicKeyToken=a1878e2052c08dce

post-4737-13922403244031_thumb.jpg

1. I downloaded and installed a new grid version.

When I put a grid on a web form or user control I get the error:

Error Creating Control - Grid1Failed to create designer 'GridFX.WebForms.Grid, GridFX.WebForms, Version=1.0.2986.27353, Culture-neutral, PublicKeyToken=a1878e2052c08dce

2. I ran anyway with this grid definition:

<GridFX:Grid ID="Grid1" runat="server" Width="550" DataSourceInCode="True" OnDataSourceSelecting="Grid1_DataSourceSelecting">   <DataFields> <GridFX:TextField DataPath="MPL_UserID" Title="User"> </GridFX:TextField> <GridFX:NumberField DataPath="QtyPickedPerSecond"> </GridFX:NumberField> <GridFX:DateTimeField DataPath="StartDate"> </GridFX:DateTimeField>   </DataFields></GridFX:Grid>

and this code:

protected void Grid1_DataSourceSelecting(object sender, GridFX.WebForms.DataSourceSelectingEventArgs e)   {   DateTime QtyPickedPerSec_FromDate = DateTime.Parse("3/19/2008");   DateTime QtyPickedPerSec_ToDate = DateTime.Parse("4/19/2008");   String SelectedUserid = "Bate";   Grid1.DataSource = FastFetchMgr.Library.Manager.MgtPickLineManager.GetQtyPickedPerSecondByDateList(SelectedUserid, UserContext.Session.Warehouse_ID, QtyPickedPerSec_FromDate, QtyPickedPerSec_ToDate);   Grid1.DataBind();   }

But got this run time error:

Type must be one of the .NET numeric types. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Type must be one of the .NET numeric types.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. 

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: Type must be one of the .NET numeric types.] GridFX.WebForms.Number.a(Type A_0) +117 GridFX.WebForms.NumberField.m() +35 GridFX.WebForms.NumberFormatter.o() +64 GridFX.WebForms.NumberFormatter.e() +47 GridFX.WebForms.NumberFormatter.get_Decimals() +25 GridFX.WebForms.NumberFormatter.m() +43 GridFX.WebForms.NumberFormatter.a(Object A_0, IFieldControl A_1) +253 GridFX.WebForms.DataField.a(Object A_0, IFieldControl A_1) +164 GridFX.WebForms.DataField.b(Object A_0, IFieldControl A_1) +155 GridFX.WebForms.DataField.e(IFieldControl A_0) +60 df.a() +62 l5.w() +45 GridFX.WebForms.OutputCell.e() +48 GridFX.WebForms.OutputCell.get_Text() +25 l5.j() +25 lr.a(HtmlTextWriter A_0) +47 df.a(HtmlTextWriter A_0) +477 l5.a(HtmlTextWriter A_0) +163 GridFX.WebForms.OutputCell.i(HtmlTextWriter A_0) +43 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +25 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +121 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +22 GridFX.WebForms.OutputCell.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +36 GridFX.WebForms.Grid.a(HtmlTextWriter A_0) +402 GridFX.WebForms.Grid.h(HtmlTextWriter A_0) +1274 GridFX.WebForms.Grid.g(HtmlTextWriter A_0) +972 GridFX.WebForms.Grid.f(HtmlTextWriter A_0) +3142 GridFX.WebForms.Grid.c(HtmlTextWriter A_0) +98 GridFX.WebForms.Grid.j(HtmlTextWriter A_0) +353 GridFX.WebForms.Grid.k(HtmlTextWriter A_0) +480 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +25 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +121 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +22 GridFX.WebForms.Grid.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +36 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +199 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +20 System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +7 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +25 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +121 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +22 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +199 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +20 System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.RenderContents(HtmlTextWriter writer) +7 System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +29 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +25 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +121 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +22 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +199 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +20 System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +7 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +25 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +121 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +22 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +199 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +20 System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.RenderContents(HtmlTextWriter writer) +7 Telerik.WebControls.RadPane.RenderContents(HtmlTextWriter writer) +439 System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +29 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +25 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +121 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +22 Telerik.WebControls.RadSplitter.RenderContents(HtmlTextWriter writer) +287 System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +29 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +25 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +121 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +22 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +199 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +20 System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +59 System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.Render(HtmlTextWriter output) +68 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +25 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +121 System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +37 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +199 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +20 System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +7 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +25 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +121 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +22 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +199 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +20 System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +26 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +25 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +121 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +22 Telerik.WebControls.RadAjaxManager.AJAX_Page_Render(HtmlTextWriter output, Control container) +171 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +98 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +20 System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +26 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +25 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +121 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +22 System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2558

post-4737-13922403246174_thumb.jpg

Okay, your installation problems are still baffling.  I think I need to follow up with you in person.  Also, your issue with NumberFields is strange.  The Numberfield can bind to any numeric type, int, double, long, etc.  Are all the DataPaths for the Grid's NumberFields pointing to actual number values in the data source?

Also, your code in the DataSourceSelecting event is wrong.  Could you change it to

protected void Grid1_DataSourceSelecting(object sender, GridFX.WebForms.DataSourceSelectingEventArgs e)

{

DateTime QtyPickedPerSec_FromDate = DateTime.Parse("3/19/2008");

DateTime QtyPickedPerSec_ToDate = DateTime.Parse("4/19/2008");

String SelectedUserid = "Bate";

e.DataSource = FastFetchMgr.Library.Manager.MgtPickLineManager.GetQtyPickedPerSecondByDateList(SelectedUserid, UserContext.Session.Warehouse_ID, QtyPickedPerSec_FromDate, QtyPickedPerSec_ToDate);

}

You don't need the grid.DataSource set and DataBind call.  That could possible be a source of trouble.

Could you please email me directly at stephenp at softwarefx.com with a number I could contact you at?  It would be much easier for us to figure this stuff out in person.

I use Visual Studio 2008.  I am a new user of GridFX.  This grid is not yet very useful to me because the same type problems reported earlier continue.

Almost every time I use the designer to put a grid on a user control or a web form I get an error message:

"Error Creating Control - Unable to cast object of type 'GridFX.WebForms.Grid' to type 'GridFX.WebForms.Grid'

On the same page or user control I can put html code in the source view and then I see a grid with no errors in design view.

However when I try to use the smart tag in the designer to modify grid properties, as soon as I change a property I always get a "DataFields" error and then the grid will not respond any more in design view.

Archived