Jump to content
Software FX Community

MS Office Add-On Problems


Recommended Posts

Using ChartFX Client Server 5.1

and additional CfxMSOfficeAddOn2 - installed last May.

We have a situation where a client is using our software that has the chart

objects. When he goes to copy the chart with the menu item "To Office

Application" then tries to paste it in any MS application, a grey box gets

pasted with only the text "No Data Available".

This happens with different applications of ours that all use the chart

object. We can not reproduce this on any of our machines, and other clients

are able to do this functionality just fine so I think we are redestributing

all the right files. This client is using Windows 2000 Professional.

Any insight to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Christine Kuder

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can not reproduce this problem myself on any machines that I have

available...but my client who is trying to use this certainly can not. I've

gone through a few things with him...

When the chart gets graphed into Excel, the Format Bar does indeed have the

proper item:

=EMBED("CfxDocServer.CfxDocServer.1","")

and we see the Cfx items installed in the registry with the correct CLSID

The Cfx4OLE.dll does seem to be installed in the right spot on the machine.

And the user is using Excel 2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3)

The user saved the excel file with the object that contained "No Data

Available" and sent it too me, and I do indeed find it to be the case. I

attached this file.

This is an extremely important feature for my client to be able to put the

charts into Excel and PowerPoint, so if I need to purchase support to get

this issue resolved, please let me know.

Thanks,

Christine Kuder

"SoftwareFX Support" <noreply@softwarefx.com> wrote in message

news:Cd6JgvaHEHA.788@webserver3.softwarefx.com...

> We have never seen this problem before and are unable to reproduce it

under

> any of our test environments.

>

> Any details on how to reproduce this problem would be greatly appreciated.

>

> --

> FP

> Software FX

>

>

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I get some kind of confirmation that this is being looked into???

"Christine Kuder" <christinekuder@hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:9VNY8HNIEHA.2848@webserver3.softwarefx.com...

> I can not reproduce this problem myself on any machines that I have

> available...but my client who is trying to use this certainly can not.

I've

> gone through a few things with him...

>

> When the chart gets graphed into Excel, the Format Bar does indeed have

the

> proper item:

> =EMBED("CfxDocServer.CfxDocServer.1","")

> and we see the Cfx items installed in the registry with the correct CLSID

>

> The Cfx4OLE.dll does seem to be installed in the right spot on the

machine.

> And the user is using Excel 2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3)

>

> The user saved the excel file with the object that contained "No Data

> Available" and sent it too me, and I do indeed find it to be the case. I

> attached this file.

>

> This is an extremely important feature for my client to be able to put the

> charts into Excel and PowerPoint, so if I need to purchase support to get

> this issue resolved, please let me know.

>

> Thanks,

> Christine Kuder

>

>

>

>

> "SoftwareFX Support" <noreply@softwarefx.com> wrote in message

> news:Cd6JgvaHEHA.788@webserver3.softwarefx.com...

> > We have never seen this problem before and are unable to reproduce it

> under

> > any of our test environments.

> >

> > Any details on how to reproduce this problem would be greatly

appreciated.

> >

> > --

> > FP

> > Software FX

> >

> >

>

>

>

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are still unable to reproduce the problem. Without reproducing it we

simply can not know what's wrong and since it is not even happening in one

of your computers, I don't see how we can go about solving this.

Before he copies the object, does it has data ?

If he copies the object as a picture, does he gets the right chart in Office

?

Have your customer go to our Web Site, download and install the Office

Add-on, then go to our support site and hit the Copy - To Office application

from one of our live samples, then paste it into Word.

What happens ?

--

FP

Software FX, Inc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> Have your customer go to our Web Site, download and install the Office

> Add-on, then go to our support site and hit the Copy - To Office

application

> from one of our live samples, then paste it into Word.

Can you please point me to a "live sample"? I'm not sure what you mean.

Thanks,

Christine

Link to post
Share on other sites

> Have your customer go to our Web Site, download and install the Office

> Add-on, then go to our support site and hit the Copy - To Office

application

> from one of our live samples, then paste it into Word.

When my client tries to install the Office Add-on, which I assume is the

CfxMSOfficeAddOn2.exe (file version 1.0.6.0) they get an error saying the

Chart FX Client Server software is not installed. I only redistribute the

necessary binaries in our product installation. So what should we do?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a rundown of what I'm redistributing in my product installation:

Cfx4032.ocx (file version 5.0.10.3)

Cfx4Ole.dll (file version 1.0.6.0)

SfxBar.dll (file version 1.0.20.0)

And I believe these are all self-registering binaries, right???

"Christine Kuder" <christinekuder@hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:vRLAqvwJEHA.696@webserver3.softwarefx.com...

> > Have your customer go to our Web Site, download and install the Office

> > Add-on, then go to our support site and hit the Copy - To Office

> application

> > from one of our live samples, then paste it into Word.

>

> When my client tries to install the Office Add-on, which I assume is the

> CfxMSOfficeAddOn2.exe (file version 1.0.6.0) they get an error saying the

> Chart FX Client Server software is not installed. I only redistribute the

> necessary binaries in our product installation. So what should we do?

>

>

Link to post
Share on other sites

The versions seem to be correct assuming those are the ones that are

registered and you don't have other copies somewhere that are actually the

ones that are being used (registered).

They are indeed self- registering DLL, you can use regserv32.exe to register

them.

Everything seems to be fine. I do not know why you are getting this error.

Is the version of MS Office the same ? can you paste the chart in WordPad ?

--

FP

Software FX

Link to post
Share on other sites

> The versions seem to be correct assuming those are the ones that are

> registered and you don't have other copies somewhere that are actually the

> ones that are being used (registered).

I walked through a File Find with these files on my clients machine, and

there seems to be only one copy of each file on his system in

..\WINNT\System32

> Everything seems to be fine. I do not know why you are getting this error.

> Is the version of MS Office the same ? can you paste the chart in WordPad

?

Someone at my office has the same version of MS Office that my client has,

specifically Excel 2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3). After extensive testing on the

machine here, I could not reproduce the error. When my client tries to

paste a chart into WordPad, he gets the exact same results "No Data

Available". Earlier, he sent me an excel file that has this object in it.

When I open it, I see the exact same thing. If I try to double click on the

object, the editing toolbar does not appear. I'm attaching this file again

for you to confirm.

Thanks for your responses.

Christine Kuder

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. I get your file, and there is no data in the chart. So. The problem

happened BEFORE this, it is behaving as if the chart had no data at the time

the Export was invoked.

Try the following:

Do an Export of that chart to a binary file from that person's computer,

then go in WordPad and select "Insert->Object->From File" selecting this

file. What do you get ?

Please attach that file to your next posting.

--

FP

Software FX

Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you export a chart to a binary file?

"SoftwareFX Support" <noreply@softwarefx.com> wrote in message

news:yTNtd%23IKEHA.3308@webserver3.softwarefx.com...

> Yes. I get your file, and there is no data in the chart. So. The problem

> happened BEFORE this, it is behaving as if the chart had no data at the

time

> the Export was invoked.

>

> Try the following:

>

> Do an Export of that chart to a binary file from that person's computer,

> then go in WordPad and select "Insert->Object->From File" selecting this

> file. What do you get ?

>

> Please attach that file to your next posting.

>

>

>

> --

> FP

> Software FX

>

>

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!

I just insisted that my client install my product on another machine in his

office to see if it had the same problem. Turns out it doesn't after I was

already told by him that it didn't work on another machine in his office.

It seems obvious that there's some system difference, so he's going to have

his IT department look into this.

SO, I think this means that this problem is resolved - kind of! Thanks for

all your help and for putting up with me!

Christine

"Christine Kuder" <christinekuder@hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:15OwDRJKEHA.3308@webserver3.softwarefx.com...

> How do you export a chart to a binary file?

>

> "SoftwareFX Support" <noreply@softwarefx.com> wrote in message

> news:yTNtd%23IKEHA.3308@webserver3.softwarefx.com...

> > Yes. I get your file, and there is no data in the chart. So. The problem

> > happened BEFORE this, it is behaving as if the chart had no data at the

> time

> > the Export was invoked.

> >

> > Try the following:

> >

> > Do an Export of that chart to a binary file from that person's computer,

> > then go in WordPad and select "Insert->Object->From File" selecting this

> > file. What do you get ?

> >

> > Please attach that file to your next posting.

> >

> >

> >

> > --

> > FP

> > Software FX

> >

> >

>

>

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...