Software FX Community

Formatting Axis and Data

rms2219

Hello...

I have installed the Chart FX 7 trial version and I have a few questions:

1) My data source is a SQL database table with two columns (one is sql data type "date" and the other is sql data type "decimal(18, 4)"). The dates will be along the X-Axis and the values will be along the Y. An example entry I have in the database is: [2010-06-01, 133615.0000]. Now, I format my x-axis (date axis) like this:

newChart.AxisX.DataFormat.Format = ChartFX.WebForms.AxisFormat.DateTime;

newChart.AxisX.DataFormat.CustomFormat = "MMMM";

newChart.AxisX.LabelsFormat.Format = ChartFX.WebForms.AxisFormat.DateTime;

newChart.AxisX.LabelsFormat.CustomFormat = "MMMM";

because all I want is the date, but for whatever reason, when I do

newChart.Data.Labels.Add(row.ItemArray[0].ToString()); (where row is a DataRow in a DataView.Table, and the string being added gets turned to "2010-06-01

12:00:00 AM")

I get the whole string. I shouldn't need to trim the time off of the string before adding it to the newChart.Data.Labels should I?

2) When adding values to my Y-axis, why does it only accept doubles? In the following code:

for (int i = 0; i < newChart.Data.Points; ++i)

{

for (int j = 0; j < newChart.Data.Series; ++j)

{

// SOMETIMES THIS IS A PERCENTAGE, RIGHT NOW THE PERCENTAGE IS BEING ROUNDED

// THIS NEEDS TO NOT HAPPEN!!!

newChart.Data.Y[j, i] = Convert.ToDouble(values);

}

}

sometimes values will be something like .5678 which should be displayed as 56.78%, but instead is being rounded to 57%. How do I fix this? I am using the Convert.ToDouble because newChart.Data.Y[j,i] won't accept anything but a double.

Hi,

regarding your questions, well first the DataFormat.Format property sets the format, but it will not change datasource information. The Format is like a mask for the data showed however if you want to retrieve the values, you will get the whole value. Then, Chart FX 7 component is a X/Y based chart that will plot numerical values across two axis: the X and the Y one. The X can be labels (strings - categorical), numbers or dates (numerical), and the Y axis is defined by the type of data defined for the Chart. The chart at the end, is a graphical representation of numbers, so only numbers are accepted as data for each series.

I saw you posted some code, that is incomplete... maybe you want to re post it again so I can give it a check.

Juan Z.

Can you please tell me why the Y-Axis is rounding the values I give it?

The line of code I am using to insert values for Y data is:

newChart.Data.Y[j, i] = Convert.ToDouble(values);

For example, if values is .5678, when it is assigned to Y, it is rounded up to 57. It NEEDS to be 56.78.

It worked perfectly, that's exactly what I wanted. Now, addressing the first issue I had, about the dates. I have attached an imaged image of one of my charts. You'll notice on the X-Axis, that there is a time shown, along with the date. In my database, a sample date would be 01-01-2010 (and NO time). I use ASP's SqlDataSource to connect to my database and I use a DataView to hold the results of my SELECT query

String.Format("SELECT [Date], [Value] FROM [KPIDetails] WHERE [KPICategory] = '{0}'", item.Text);)

Now, for some reason, at this point, the date also includes the time (the DataView added the time in on the query). How would I display this on the X-Axis with no time if the string I'm assigning to the Label includes the time. Do I have to manually trim the time off of the string before assigning?

Ya I have that already...this is what I have:

newChart.AxisX.DataFormat.Format = ChartFX.WebForms.AxisFormat.Date;

newChart.AxisX.DataFormat.CustomFormat = "MMMM";

newChart.AxisX.LabelsFormat.Format = ChartFX.WebForms.AxisFormat.Date;

newChart.AxisX.LabelsFormat.CustomFormat = "MMMM";