Software FX Community

-refresh doesnt work in last build

We have finally found and fixed the refresh issue.

In an interim build we tried to fix an issue with a localized PowerShell version and we introduced a bug that affects refreshing on scripts. You can download an updated build from the same place you downloaded it before (check that the file date should be July 23rd or later before downloading).

JuanC

I updated to the last build (1.0.2760) but refresh still not work for me. I'm tryed it on vista and xp machines, results still the same.

i'm executing following line:

Get-Date | Out-Gauge -Refresh 0:0:1

and all that i get - static gauge which updates only by right click and clicking "refresh".

Just for fun...  Can you try disabling any/all snap-ins you might have in your profile, and either leave only the PowerGadgets snap-in or load it manually, then retry?

I have extra snap-ins loaded and it works fine for me, but this is just a small test I'd like someone to try.

I've never had any problems with refresh, but am definitely curious to know what's up...

What would really be nice to see is a log created by sysinternals.com's Filemon (I don't think Regmon would be required).  A filter for "*powergadgets*" migth point to the issue.  Please contact me directly at marco.shaw@AT.gmail.com (remove the "AT."), and I can try to walk you through the process of using Filemon to try to see what's going on with your system.

Tryed with -NoProfile and only powergadgets snapin loaded. All the same. Windows Vista Business Russian if this matters, russian locale (tryed with english locale - same result).

Filemon and Regmon is replaced by Process Monitor btw. You can download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx

I'm attached two logs in Procmon format, one filtered by powergadgets process and another by path.

In both captured the moment when i executed

and some seconds after this.

FYI: The trial version currently available is 1.0.2760, which is the most current public supported build. At the FTP currentbuild folder we copy the most current "hotfix" build, which even though may fix a particular issue, has not gone through an extensive test and may have even more basic and obvious issues than the latest publicly supported build.

Tryed with -NoProfile and only powergadgets snapin loaded. All the same. Windows Vista Business Russian if this matters, russian locale (tryed with english locale - same result).

Filemon and Regmon is replaced by Process Monitor btw. You can download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspx

I'm attached two logs in Procmon format, one filtered by powergadgets process and another by path.

In both captured the moment when i executed

and some seconds after this.

Thanks!

Nothing seems to stand out here.  One thing though, -refresh (or simply hitting refresh from the gadget itself) seems to cause the invokation of a new PowerShell runspace when I trace on my system.  (Assuming I know what I'm talking about here, because I am definitely not a programmer.)

This is what is missing from your trace...  The runspace isn't invoked from what I can tell, but I don't see an error telling me why.  I do see something about "FAST IO DISALLOWED", but a google search doesn't seem to indicate this is a major issue.

Would it be too much trouble to do a trace when you pick refresh by right-clicking on the gadget?

You don't happen to have these running as a virtual machine that you could send me (either Vmware or Virtual Server)?

Marco

Note that the bug we fixed was related to using -refresh in PS1 scripts. Because of the way we parse the powershell execution info we were not saving correctly the command to be reexecuted. This would explain why the trace does not show a new InvokeRunspace.

Please make sure you are using in fact the most recent version. You may also want to check if there are other PowerGadgets snapins in your GAC and somehow they are being used instead of the newer build. To check which versions of the PG snapins are on the GAC you can run the following command (Note that gacutil is only installed by the .NET SDK, e.g. it is installed by Visual Studio but not by the .NET runtime installer)

gacutil /l powergadgets.commands

If you do not have gacutil in your system you can use the ".NET Framework 2.0 Configuration" applet in Control Panel - Administrative Tools to check the Assembly Cache.

You can also check the following registry key to check the snapin registered in Powershell

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\PowerShellSnapIns\PowerGadgets\AssemblyName

This key will show you the full assembly name that powershell will try to load.

JuanC

PS C:\Temp> Get-ItemProperty "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\PowerShellSnapIns\PowerGadgets" | select AssemblyName

AssemblyName------------PowerGadgets.Commands, Version=1.0.1500.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a1878e2052c08dce

PS C:\Temp> .\gacutil.exe /l powergadgets.commandsMicrosoft ® .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility.  Version 2.0.50727.42Copyright © Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

The Global Assembly Cache contains the following assemblies:

Number of items = 0

I'm also tried to install last version (1.0.2762) on clean winxp virtual pc.

And got the following results:

PS C:\Documents and Settings\gusev> Add-PSSnapin powergadgetsPS C:\Documents and Settings\gusev> Get-Date | Out-Gauge -Refresh 0:0:1Out-Gauge : ?????? ?? ?????? ?? ????????? ?? ????????? String.??? ?????????: sAt line:1 char:21+ Get-Date | Out-Gauge  <<<< -Refresh 0:0:1

Error message translated from Russian is: "Reference to string is not references to instance of String. Parameter name: s"

all following executions of this command causes error in PowerGadgets Presenter. (see attached screenshot).

I get same error for all powergadgets commands on this machine, get-childitem | out-chart for example.