Software FX Community

Problems with Binary Template

richard

We are using a binary template to control the layout/appearance of a chart and are then binding the chart to a table for the data. If the table contains more series than the templates a number of strange things happen

ChartFX raises an exception when the last of the series is made not visible

If the chart is a mixture of bar and line the lines do not overlay the bars even though these are later in the series (ie data columns)

When a non stacked series is made non visible the order of stacking of other series changes

None of these problems occur if the template is not used. Is there any way of programming round this as we can't guarantee that the number of series in the template is the same as the number of series in the query

Attached is a small demo program which shows the issue. On load a standard default chart is displayed. Pressing button 1 will load an embedded template which was saved as a 3 series stacked bar with an XAxis date format. Pressing button 2 will create a small table of 5 rows and 5 columns comprising data matching the template but with an extra series. The table is bound to the chart and the extra series is set as a line series but hidden.

Initially all looks well with the series stacked in the order of columns in the table with colours as  per the template. The check box is then used to hide/show the extra series but when this is checked the order of stacking changes and the new series is behind rather than in front of the bars. There was a further problem in that hiding all of the series resulted in an exception but this problem has disappeared on downloading the latest service pack

Update on my previous post. While the latest service pack seems to have solved the problem of an easily repeatable exception when all of the series are hidden, this problem has been replaced with a more intermittent problem in that the application usually hangs with the following CLR message

The CLR has been unable to transition from COM context 0x1a0568 to COM context 0x1a06d8 for 60 seconds. The thread that owns the destination context/apartment is most likely either doing a non pumping wait or processing a very long running operation without pumping Windows messages. This situation generally has a negative performance impact and may even lead to the application becoming non responsive or memory usage accumulating continually over time. To avoid this problem, all single threaded apartment (STA) threads should use pumping wait primitives (such as CoWaitForMultipleHandles) and routinely pump messages during long running operations.

Ok in your Demo project, I can see the problem where the series stacked order is getting changed when the checkbox is checked/unchecked. But I can only replicate the issue with your template file (testtemplate.bin). When I try to export and import the chart in BinaryTemplate, I cannot replicate the issue - the stacked order remains the same when the last series is made visible and not. Also, the line series is brought in front of the other series. Other than setting the stacked property of the series, do you have any specific settings for the chart before exporting in BinaryTemplate format?

As for your last reply where the application hangs when all series are hidden, I cannot replicate this problem. In your project, I made all series to be visible/hidden in the CheckBox Changed event. Also, added the following lines of code in the Button3_Click() event.

Chart1.DataSourceSettings.DataType(0) = ChartFX.DataType.Label

Chart1.DataSourceSettings.DataType(1) = ChartFX.DataType.Value

Chart1.DataSourceSettings.DataType(2) = ChartFX.DataType.Value

Chart1.DataSourceSettings.DataType(3) = ChartFX.DataType.Value

Chart1.DataSourceSettings.DataType(4) = ChartFX.DataType.Value

After doing this, I don't see any problem in making all series visible/hidden by using the checkbox.

I have tracked down one of the problems with the template. I did this by exporting the binary template as xml and then reimporting after removing tags one at a time. The problem is with a tag called CLUSTER. If this is removed the stacking problem is solved.  We didn't set this tag specifically and we can force it off before binding if this will have no other effect. Please confirm. Perhaps you can fix this bug on the next SP

With regard to exceptions etc this is still a problem. You can easily replicate it on the test app by adding three checkboxes - one each for series 0,1 and 2 and setting the series visible property off. If you bind the data, show the line first then hide each of the other series one at a time followed by hiding the line there is an immediate argument out of range exception as shown on the stack trace below.

at SoftwareFX.ChartFX.DataArray.get_Item(Int32 series, Int32 point)

at SoftwareFX.ChartFX.15.KU(Double 26J, Double 26K)

at SoftwareFX.ChartFX.17.KO(Boolean 278, Double 279, Double 27A, Double 27B, Boolean& 27C)

at SoftwareFX.ChartFX.AxisBase.JP(1R 23O, Rectangle[] 23P, SetPropFlag& 23Q, 1C 23R, AxisSection& 23S)

at SoftwareFX.ChartFX.AxisCollection.KA(1R 254, Rectangle[] 255, 1C 256)

at SoftwareFX.ChartFX.ChartCore.EP(1R 1T1, Boolean 1T2, Boolean 1T3)

at SoftwareFX.ChartFX.ChartCore.EO(1R 1SY, Rectangle& 1SZ, Int32& 1T0)

at SoftwareFX.ChartFX.ChartCore.EN(PaintBar 1SV, IGraphicsEx 1SW, Rectangle& 1SX)

at SoftwareFX.ChartFX.0X.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer, Boolean disposeEventArgs)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(ApplicationContext context)

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnRun()

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.DoApplicationModel()

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.Run(String[] commandLine)

at CFXDEMO.My.MyApplication.Main(String[] Args) in 17d14f5c-a337-4978-8281-53493378c1071.vb:line 81

at System.AppDomain.nExecuteAssembly(Assembly assembly, String[] args)

at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence assemblySecurity, String[] args)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

I can replicate the issue when the cluster property is set to true. Cluster property when set to true, displays the series one behind the other and probably thats the reason it was reordering the series stack option. Cluster is not the same as stacked option - cluster puts the series one behind the other and is used for 3D charts, stack displays the series one top of another. By default, the cluster is not set to true. So if you don't use the cluster property, that will fix your problem.

Did you set the DataType settings for each column in the DataTable as mentioned in my previous reply? When binding the chart to a DataSource, you need to specify what each column in the table is used for. Please set the DataType settings and you will not get any errors/exceptions when you hide all series one by one.