Software FX Community

Getting started with ChartFX

alecswan

I am researching different charting tools for a new project. I ran across ChartFX and am trying to understand which ChartFX product is best for me and how to get started.

Here are some project requirements:1. We will use Tomcat app. server, so the output from the ChartFX product should be servable from Tomcat. We would like to avoid using IIS.2. We will use a Java servlet generating XML or a SOAP web service as a data source for our charts.3. We need a good  visual environment for creating complex charts with drill-downs and data source binding.

Here are some of my questions:1. Am I correct to assume that .Net ChartFX product line is more mature than Java ChartFX product line?2. Is it appropriate to use Visual Studio ChartFX editor to create charts which will retrieve data from dynamic XML generated by Java servlet at run time? Or should I stick with ChartFX for Java for implementing such charts?3. All documentation I found in ChartFX distribution was a collection of tips and did not have a step by step tutorial. Is there a tutorial that describes step by step how to create a chart an hook it up to a data source?

Thanks. 

> 1. Am I correct to assume that .Net ChartFX product line is more mature than Java ChartFX product line?

Yes. The .NET version was released before the Java Version, however, most of the codebase is shared.

> 2. Is it appropriate to use Visual Studio ChartFX editor to create charts which will retrieve data from dynamic XML generated by Java servlet at run time? Or

> should I stick with ChartFX for Java for implementing such charts?

You can use Visual Studio to create charts that will run in an ASP.NET (Windows) server only. To create charts that will run out of a Java Application Server you need Chart FX for Java instead.

> 3. All documentation I found in ChartFX distribution was a collection of tips and did not have a step by step tutorial. Is there a tutorial that describes

> step by step how to create a chart an hook it up to a data source?

Passing data is just one of the many things you can do to a chart. There is a whole section in the programmer's guide about passing data to the chart using different methods. Depending on the version you are using (Java or .NET) and the IDE (Visual Studio, Eclipse, NetBeans, etc.) there may be support for data-binding within your IDE. Check the specific product docs. for details.

Archived