Software FX Community

Please help with Chart FX 7.0 PSS Service!!

hbi72

I am in great despair and I am deeply worried that I will never get my product to market. I am unable to start the Chart FX 7.0 PSS Service on my Windows Server 2003 box and I seem to have exhausted all options. 

These are some of the messages that are logged to the Event Log:

- The Chart FX 7.0 PSS Service service failed to start due to the following error:

- The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

- Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Chart FX 7.0 PSS Service service to connect.

I have tried everything that I have enumerated below, but all to no avail. 

(1) The Windows Service "ChartFX.PSS.Service.exe" has log on set to "Local System account"; "Allow service to interact with desktop" is not checked.  I have also changed the "log on" from System to a User account with administrative privileges on the machine with no avail. 

(2) I have verified that the Local System account has "full control" and additionally, I have granted "modify" (write) privileges for the account "Everyone" to both these directories:

- C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\ChartFX70\PSS

- C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\PSS

(3) Deleted the "Temp" folder in " C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\PSS" and attempted to restart the service.  The service fails to start. The temp folder does not get recreated.

(4) Verified that the two DLLs (ChartFX.PSS.HttpHandler.dll and ChartFX.WebForms.Base.dll ) exist in directory "C:\Program Files\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\ChartFX70\PSS\bin"

(5) Made the following changes:

a) Control Panel ---> Administrative Tools ---> Microsoft .NET Framework Configuration.

:( My Computer tree -> Left click on Runtime Security Policy -> On the right, click on Adjust Zone Security.

c) "Make changes to this computer" was checked. Clicked next.

d) Intranet and Trusted Sites were set to "Full Trust"

e) Attempted to start the service but it fails

(6) As an aside, basic charts (rendered as .NET) do get displayed.  Also, the machine has ChartFX 6.2 installed. 

Please help!  I am destitute and feel like I am at the end of the rope.  I will do anything.  I will even buy you a gift card to Peet's Coffee or Tully's or Starbucks.  Thanks in advance. 

Can you tell us what you tried other than the things I enumerated above?  If there were other things you tried and they didn't work, I'd like to rule them out.  At this point, I'm not sure what to do ... I have wasted tremendous week hours on this and I am REALLY desperate!  Thanks. 

I'm researching this issue but have not been able to reproduce it or determine the cause, I will keep you posted. In the meantime, please check out this KB article, it should at least get you out of desperation mode until we figure out what's going on:

Q7621010. Disabling the PSS Service

URL: http://support.softwarefx.com/Article.aspx?KBID=7621010&Product=CfxNet70&Embed=0&_r=1

Good morning everybody,

first I have uninstalled Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005 from my Windows Server 2003. After rebooting the system I installed the software again and tried to start the Chart FX 7.0 PSS Service. Unfortunately the reinstallation did not fix the error. I still get the following error messages when starting the Chart FX 7.0 PSS Service (translated into English, please excuse translation mistakes ;))):

"Chart FX 7.0 PSS Servicec" service on local computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

In addition to this I get the following error code:

"Chart FX 7.0 PSS Service" service on local computer couldn't be started. Error Code 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

The event viewer shows the following log after reinstallation:

The installation types in the Assembly C:\Programme\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\PSS\ChartFX.PSS.Service.exe can not be loaded.

When reinstalling ChartFX I also get the following error code in the install log (I didn't get when I installed the software the first time):

Fatal Exception error when searching the Installer in the Assembly C:\Programme\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\PSS\ChartFX.PSS.Service.exe. System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: At least one type can not be loaded. Call the LoaderExceptions properties for more information. Installation of C:\Programme\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\PSS\ChartFX.PSS.Service.exe canceled.

The network 2.0 installutil.exe installer-tool shows the following log when using the /u option:

Die Deinstallation wurde gestartet.

Die Protokolldatei enth

Maybe I should add an information that could be quite important for solving the problem:

I have installed the software on two different servers. The first is runnig with Windows Server 2003 and Service Pack 1. At this server the ChartFX 7.0 PSS Service runs smooth. On the second server I have installed Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 2 (on this server the problem occurs).

Could Service Pack 2 be the reason for our problems? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

@hbi72: what version of Windows Server 2003 are you running? SP1 or SP2? 

Best Regards,

Bernhard

Ok. We created a clean machine with Windows server 2003 and SP2, installed Chart FX in it and everything works great. PSS started and works. So it is not a problem with SP2.

To make sure we are all in the same page here please confirm the following three things:

1) You are getting an error when trying to start PSS. Something in the lines of:

"Chart FX 7.0 PSS Servicec" service on local computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

2) PSS is never logging anything in the event log. So PSS is in fact never running.

3) You are running Windows Server 2003 SP 2 and the .NET Framework 2.0 is installed.

So the first thing that can be going wrong is an installation issue. If you are running a 64-Bit OS, you need to make sure you are running an installer compatible with this environment. The installer you are running should install version 7.0.2664 or later. If it doesn't you have an old installer that is not 64-Bit compatible and you need to get a new one from Software FX Support. I am not talking about a Service Pack here, you need a new installer.

One of you mentioned the following error:

Fatal Exception error when searching the Installer in the Assembly C:\Programme\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\PSS\ChartFX.PSS.Service.exe. System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: At least one type can not be loaded. Call the LoaderExceptions properties for more information. Installation of C:\Programme\Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005\PSS\ChartFX.PSS.Service.exe canceled.

This suggests a missing assembly, which could be due to an installation problem. To further test this, please do the following:

1) Copy ChartFX.WebForms.Base.dll from <chart fx installation folder>\bin to <chart fx installation folder>\PSS

2) Re-start PSS

If you get an error, use Fusion Log (FUSLOGVW.exe in your .NET framework SDK) to look into any assembly load exceptions. The path's being probed should give us an idea of why it is not being found.

Svg_Data.zip

Hi Frank,

I'm replying for Hideki or is out of the office for a couple days.  He sent me this data to post to your reply.

Regarding the error message when starting the PSS service:

In our case, the service is set to start automatically, but

it never starts. If we force start, we get the "1053" error

message described in an earlier thread.

Reply to  PSS is never loggin anything in the event log.

The PSS service fails to start; this is logged. Are you

implying that PSS never logs anything to the event log if

it is running properly (including the initial startup)?

Regarding the server software and .net framework

Yes, we have Win Server 2003 SP2 and .Net Framework 2.0 installed.

Regarding the firth thing that can be going wrong.....

Ara, our other developer, states that version 7.0.2664 was installed.  If need be we can verify that we our server folks.

Regarding the Fatal Exception Error:

This comment by the poster Bernhard appears to be less relevant

because we don't get this error.

To further test this, please do the following:

1) Copy ChartFX.WebForms.Base.dll from <chart fx installation folder>\bin to <chart fx installation folder>\PSS

2) Re-start PSS

If you get an error, use Fusion Log (FUSLOGVW.exe in your .NET framework SDK) to look into any assembly load exceptions. The path's being probed should give us an idea of why it is not being found.

Hi Frank,

If possible, could you and Marie Dumont work together in helping us solve this problem.  It appears that we are getting the same suggestions from both you and Marie.  We definitely value your input.  We would just like to respond to one person if possible.

Please contact Marie for a history of our support ticket.  I think it's best that I not paste the url here.

Thanks again,

Loretta

• 2 months later...

Hi all,I had the exact same issue on my system. After trying everything suggested in this thread and suggested by the softwareFX support team I was a little worried that I would never be able to solve it. But then I got back to the basic error message I got, which was about the service not responding in a timely fashion. Then I realized that this problem might be solved by increasing the timeout for starting services, which is done like this: 

Add a DWORD value called 'ServicesPipeTimeout' to the registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control'. The decimal value of this DWORD represents the time a starting service may take in milliseconds; by default this would be 30000 (30 seconds). I increased it to 4 minutes (240000) to be on the safe side. You need to reboot the system to make this change effective. It works fine for me!

Hope it helps.Kind regards,

noname00 

Archived