Software FX Community

Migrating from 6.2 to 7.x (aspx pages)

LSUgirl

I have hundreds of aspx pages with charts on them.  I've read about the migration from 6.2 and wrapper and conversation tools but I can't find any detailed information.  What is the best method to migrate these hundreds of charts on aspx pages?  Do I have to edit every page?

Thanks, Jessica

Thanks for the information.  That will help.  But it does look like I'm going to have to migrate each page separately.  There isn't a method to migrate an entire project/solution?  Just wondering before I start down the path of changing more than 400 aspx pages one by one.

No there isn't but you don't HAVE to migrate all the pages. Chart FX 6.2 and 7.0 can work side-by-side in the same project. So if you are looking for a specific functionality for one of your pages, you can upgrade that one. If you want to migrate all your pages then you have to do it one-by-one.

We are adding the Maps extension to a majority of our pages.  I guess I need to get busy.  I would like to request some batch page migration for the future.  I can't be the only person with hundreds of pages to convert.

While converting, I'm following Q751011 to migration a test page.  I get the following error when I click "Upgrade to Chart FX for Visual Studio 2005"

Exporting Chart FX 6 properties into Chart FX 7.  Close Visual Studio, re-open your project and try again.  Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

I have reopened VS several times and I keep getting the same error.  Any ideas?

post-3016-13922400433333_thumb.jpg

My chart details:

<chartfx:Chart ID="Chart1" runat="server" Width="298px" Chart3D="True"

MainClient="True" NSeries="1" BorderColor="#A8A8A8" NValues="3" EmbeddedData="False"

Gallery="Pie" Height="263px" ImgHeight="300" PointLabels="True">

<axisy>

<LabelsFormat Decimals="2"></LabelsFormat>

</axisy>

<titles>

<chartfx:TitleDockable></chartfx:TitleDockable>

</titles>

<serlegboxobj docked="Bottom"></serlegboxobj>

<extensions>

<SoftwareFX.ChartFX.Internet.Server.GalleryObj.Pie DoughnutThickness="50" LineBreak="10"></SoftwareFX.ChartFX.Internet.Server.GalleryObj.Pie>

</extensions>

</chartfx:Chart>

Extensions are not supported by the wrapper, however, the extensions' API didn't change significantly.

You will need to detach the extension from the chart (click on the extension, go to the property grid, select the "Chart" property and right-click Reset).

Due to changes in ASP.NET 2.0, extensions went from being Components to being Controls. So you will need to drop them in your from again from the toolbox. Sorry, no migration tool here. The code however will remain the same except for the name space changes.

You said: "We are adding the Maps extension to a majority of our pages"

I assumed that meant you had your charts attached to the mapped extension. Is the map extension present in your mark-up?

Note that in VS 2005, components are not shown in the component tray anymore. In fact there is no component tray for Web forms apps. To see the components in your page, you need to select "Component Designer" from the VS "View" menu.

We would like to add map extensions but I can't even get a single pie chart converted to 7.0. We haven't added any map extensions yet.  I'm getting the exception error on a plain pie chart.  I sent the code for it.  Please review this thread.  You seem to have taken a left turn somewhere and gotten off track.

I'm just trying to get an existing 6.2 pie chart converted to 7.0 and I'm getting an exception error.  In the future, we are planning on adding map extensions but we need to get the existing chart converted first.

Ok. So yes, I got definitely confused by your reference to the maps extension.

So for this particular Pie chart I found what the problem was, it was a problem with the Exporter dll specific to Pie charts.

I fixed it internally bu we don't have a Service Pack planed anytime soon, so what you can do is contact tech support and ask for a HotFix. It will contain this change.

ChartFX-test.zip

Archived