Software FX Community

Internet Explorer goes down with .net Runtime 2.0 Error

lilatracy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I told Daniel, this seems to be related to specific settings on this chart. In this case we are going to need a sample Web Page that reproduces the problem. A page that we can host here (I can not debug the client control out of your site).

I'm sorry, I thought he sent you some test code.

I will try and get something to you although, the issue is intermitent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it crashes... On the same client computer the .Net control will either work or crash IE (with the same data and chart).

One time when it crashed on my machine and I tried to debug, I got this exception:

An unhandled exception of type 'System.Security.SecurityException' occurred in Unknown Module.

Additional information: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.SecurityPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.

I think I have somthing I can send you. How should I send you the sample source code?

By the way, this may only be happening over SSL. I'm not sure.

It also seems that it may crash IE the first time you visit the chart but, if you try again, it works. Could it be a timing issue with the download of the 3 DLLs?:

ChartFX.NetIEClient.dll

ChartFX.NetIEClient.Base.dll

ChartFX.NetIEClient.Adornments.dll

Yes. Please include the Visual Studio project with all source files that reproduces the problem.

You must include the exact version of the dlls you are using.

Also provide all the other particulars about your environment such as HTTPS, OS, Browser Version, etc. in short, anything we may need to reproduce the problem. The more details you provide the faster it will go.

As for your concern about timing: Assemblies are downloaded by the .NET framework without our intervention.

How do I get the Visual Studio project to you? Is there some place I can upload it to? Should I email it to the support address?

With further testing the problem occured on our development server using port 80 (not SSL) so it doesn't seem to make a difference if it's HTTPS or not.

All testing computers that experianced a crash are running Windows XP. Some have IE 6 and some have IE 7.

Francisco,

I am still working on an example for you. I am trying to create an example with just the bare mimimum code required to recreate the IE crash. Each time I remove our database calls and try to hard code some data for you, the problem disappears. At one point just removing the MaintainScrollPositionOnPostBack = true; caused the problem to stop happening. I am starting to think the flaky nature of this crash may be a timing issue. I will send my example to you if I can get the problem to happen consistently. I will also try the example code that was just posted by JimO'D.

Thank you for your help.

Dan 

It's very intermittent. You shouldn't have to do anything special. It happens just when visiting the URL after the "Please Wait, downloading chart" is diplayed.

Sometimes it might crash the first time the page is visited, but if the page was revisited, it would display correctly. We just tried it again on a test machine and it worked 6 times then crashed on the 7th (all new browser windows).

It seems to happen more often when the page is being accessed through HTTPS.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I believe that always comes up before the chart is rendered although sometimes so quickly that you don't see it. It usually is there for a few seconds before a crash but I've also seen it for a few seconds and then the chart rendered fine with no crash.

I don't know if it this IE crash is related but I can duplicate the crash every time. I modified Jim's Default.aspx to use the following lines.

<%

@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="ChartFXTest._Default" %>

<!

DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<%

@ OutputCache NoStore='true' Location=none%><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >

<

head runat="server">

<title>Untitled Page</title><META http-equiv="Refresh" content="5">

</

head>

If you load the page, then click the properties button, let it display the properties dialog, and then wait for the page to refresh, IE crashes every time for me. I don't know if this is related to the crash we are seeing but they could be related or they could be the same crash but two different methods to cause it. These are not the steps that cause a crash with our production website since we do not have an automatic refresh so this crash may be unrelated to our issue.

Thank you.Dan

Dan,

I was able to reproduce that issue but it seems to be an unrelated crash. When I caught it the exception was 'System.ExecutionEngineException'.

It also writes to the Event Log: .NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.42 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A05E2B3) (80131506)

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Daniel, 

Hotfix Build 2791 does include the fix for big #590.

If you are still experiencing the problem, then you may be experiencing a different bug. Since this tread was mixed with another person's thread, it will be best to start from the beginning, please post all the information regarding the bug you are experiencing.

I do believe this is the bug Jim was experiencing though. Bug #590 happened only in "low trust" scenarios, and only when the time to download the chart file was greater than 4 seconds. The bug was related to the animation that says "downloading chart please wait". Some of the API used there requires full trust.

Maybe it will be best to start a new thread.

Archived