Software FX Community

Internet Explorer goes down with .net Runtime 2.0 Error

lilatracy

Hi!

I created an easy application with a chartfx control bind to a database table. (VS2005, VisualBasic, IIS, InternetExplorer 6.0 and 7.0) The chart control is rendert in .net

If I run the WebApplication in VS2005 everything is fine. When I deploy the Application on a production server (IIS) the application run's well, when I use the Internetexplorer on the production server. On Clients, with connectio to this production server, the application opens, then the download starts and then the Internetexplorer goes down. The Internetexplorer V7 then want's to send an error report.

In the event viewer I can see the following entry: .NET Runtime 2.0 Error   Event ID: 5000

EventType clr20r3, P1 iexplore.exe, P2 6.0.2900.2180, P3 41107b81, P4 mscorlib, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 4333ab80, P7 36c1, P8 b, P9 system.security.security, P10 NIL.

I think that it is an error in .Net Runtime environment. But it is caused through the chartfx control.

Are there any ideas?

Thanks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have the same problem when using IE6 and IE 7 with the ChartFX .NET control if our customers do not set their security according to the instructions at this link http://support.softwarefx.com/ShowArticleSep.aspx?Type=KB&Product=CfxNet62&Source=http://support.softwarefx.com/kb/614/1/001.htm?_r=1  With our customers, this is an intermittent problem and does not happen every time they open our web page.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The first problem we had when we instructed our customers to follow these instructions is that Microsoft no longer distributes the .NET Framework Configuration application with the .NET 2.0 Framework. It is now only available to developers. To address this problem, we wrote an application that runs CASPOL to set the security settings and the browser trusted sites.

The second problem we have is that we have found no way to detect in the web page with JavaScript or any other method if the security has been set. We keep getting calls from our customers telling us our web page crashes their browser. We must then instruct them to run our application to set their security.

Can this crash be fixed in the .NET ChartFX control? Why does the .NET ChartFX control cause the browser to crash? Can the .NET ChartFX control be changed to display a message when the security has not been set? Is there a way to detect in the web page if the security has not been set?

Thank you. 

We are having the same problem.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Is someone from SoftwareFX addressing the questions that you have posed? I would like the answers to those as well since it's a very unpleasant and confusing experience for the end user.

Thanks

Unfortunately, I can't give you access to the site that is published to our production server since it is not a public site. I'll see if I can have a test site published temporarily but I'm not sure if that will be allowed.

Looking in the IIS logs I did notice a 404 error trying to retrieve the file iexplore.exe.config.

Do we need to create an iexplore.exe.config file?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

>> Do we need to create an iexplore.exe.config file?

Not really. This is done automatically by Microsoft's .NET IE handler as this config would allow you to force a specific .NET runtime (e.g. 1.1)

>> I'll see if I can have a test site published temporarily but I'm not sure if that will be allowed.

I understand this might not be easy. You may also want to try the following, if the data you are charting is not private, cleanup the folder where temporary files are generated and hit your page. Your browser will crash but the generated file should be there. Sending us the file might allow us to duplicate the issue.

JuanC

hi

We also have this error in our project. It happens from time to time and I am not able to retrace this problem. I send in the middle of June an email to your helpdesk but without a response. We tried everything what we could found in Google but without success. So please give us a fix for this error.

Daniel Winkler

Like Juan said, we are unable to reproduce this problem on our end.

Low security settings shouldn't cause this kind of a crash. The IE client checks for security permissions and although the functionality may be limited, it should not produce any crashes. Are you using the latest Service Pack?

If you can provide whit either a Visual Studio project, web page or steps to reproduce this issue we will look into it, however, without being able to reproduce it it is very hard to know what's happening.

no problem to post it here

using System;

using System.Data;

using System.Configuration;

using System.Web;

using System.Web.Security;

using System.Web.UI;

using System.Web.UI.WebControls;

using System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts;

using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;

using System.Data.SqlClient;

using ChartFX.WebForms;

public partial class _Default : System.Web.UI.Page

{

protected System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataAdapter sqlDataAdapter1;

protected System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection sqlConnection2;

protected System.Data.DataSet dS_Werte1;

private ChartFX.WebForms.Axis Chart1_xaxis;

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

sqlConnection2 = new SqlConnection();

sqlConnection2.ConnectionString = "Persist Security Info=False;Max Pool Size=300;Integrated Security=false;database=Runtime;server=test;user=wwUser;pwd=wwUser;Connect Timeout=30";

sqlConnection2.Open();

DateTime aktuell = new DateTime();

aktuell = DateTime.Now;

string zeit_aktuell = Convert.ToString(aktuell);

DateTime historie = new DateTime();

historie = DateTime.UtcNow;

DateTime historie_min = new DateTime();

historie_min = historie.AddMinutes(-480);

string zeit_historie = Convert.ToString(historie_min);

Label1.Text = Convert.ToString(zeit_aktuell);

Chart1_xaxis = Chart1.AxisX;

Chart1_xaxis.LabelsFormat.Format = ChartFX.WebForms.AxisFormat.DateTime;

Chart1_xaxis.LabelsFormat.CustomFormat = "dd.MM HH:mm";

Chart1_xaxis.LabelAngle = 90;

Chart1_xaxis = Chart1.AxisX;

Chart1_xaxis.Step = 1.0 / 24;

Chart1.Visible = true;

Chart1.AxesX.Clear();

Chart1.ContextMenus = false;

sqlDataAdapter1 = new SqlDataAdapter("TIS_Chartwerte_Skala 'W17_Aussentemperatur', '" + zeit_historie + "', '" + zeit_aktuell + "'", sqlConnection2);

dS_Werte1 = new DataSet();

sqlDataAdapter1.SelectCommand.CommandTimeout = 45;

sqlDataAdapter1.Fill(dS_Werte1, "Trend");

Chart1.DataSourceSettings.Fields.Add(new FieldMap("Zeitpunkt", FieldUsage.XValue));

Chart1.DataSourceSettings.Fields.Add(new FieldMap("Value", FieldUsage.Value));

Chart1.DataSource = dS_Werte1;

Chart1.DataBind();

TitleDockable Title1 = new TitleDockable();

Title1.Alignment = System.Drawing.StringAlignment.Center;

Title1.Font = new System.Drawing.Font("Arial", (float)11.00, System.Drawing.FontStyle.Bold);

Title1.Text = "W17_Aussentemperatur";

Title1.TextColor = System.Drawing.Color.Black;

string test = Chart1.Titles.Count.ToString();

Chart1.Titles.Clear();

Chart1.Titles.Add(Title1);

Title1.PlotAreaOnly = false;

}

}

and this is the result of my code

Posted Image

system server: windows 2003 standard server r2 with all service packs

client system: windows xp sp2 with all service packs

in the eventlog i got this entry:

EventType clr20r3, P1 iexplore.exe, P2 6.0.2800.1106, P3 3d6dd9c1, P4 mscorlib, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 4333ab80, P7 36c1, P8 b, P9 system.security.security, P10 NIL.

Weitere Informationen

Daniel,

Sorry, I didn't realize I had a private message. I got it and I'm setting up a VM with this configuration (I have Vista and IE7 in my box, and the problem doesn't happen). I'll get back to you as soon as I have the verdict.

Some of my clients also have been experiencing this problem.  After some fiddling around I was able to come up with two work arounds.  They don't always work.  It seems that problem/fix is dependent  on certain computer configurations or on certain windows user logins.

Anyway, one work around that worked for me is to remove the website containing the charts from the trusted sites list in internet explorer.

Another fix was to uninstall .NET 2.0 then uninstall .NET 1.1 then to reinstall 1.1 then 2.0 (in that order because the order seems to make a difference).

I hope these work for you. 

Francisco,

Were you able to duplicate this problem with my instructions in my private message? I found out I could make IE crash every time without a reboot if I change the Start Time and End Time years to 2001 and then click the Trend button. This creates a chart with no data and then IE crashes.

Several people in this forum seem to have this problem but I have not seen any solutions that will work for us.

Thank you for your help. 

post-3112-13922400428731_thumb.jpg

Ok. Although I was able to reproduce the problem when hitting your site I could not reproduce it hitting mine.

Several possibilities here:

1) You are using a pretty old version of the control (7.0.2540). Please download the latest service pack (7.0.2664 or later).

2) If the problem persists. It may be related to specific settings on this chart. In this case we are going to need a sample Web Page that reproduces the problem. A page that we can host here (I can not debug the client control out of your site).

Archived