Software FX Community

Auto-refresh / updates for webparts

aaronheber@hotmail.com

I appreciate your response, but it fails to address my question. Let me try to state it more clearly.

I have no trouble with populating the DataPart with data from an SQL source.

However, I was wondering if the DataPart can receive real-time updates, as the SQL data changes, for parts like the guage, etc., without the need of refreshing the web page. The SQL data is being updated constantly by another process, and I'd like for this to be reflected in the guage in real-time.

Thanks,

Aaron

Your request is very valid and an implementation request has been already posted to our engineering team. We expect to include the auto-refresh functionality in an upcoming service pack, although the specific timeframe is not available yet.

I'd appreciate if you could give us feedback that will help shape a better implementation:

1. How often do you expect to refresh the data (every X seconds, minutes)?

2. Would you expect to have different refresh rates for different web parts within the same page?

3. Would you need to have any kind of visual indication of the timestamp the web part was auto-refreshed last?

4. What would you expect to happen if there is a problem connecting to the data source when a refresh occurs, for example if the database server fails to respond when an auto-refresh is requested?

-----

IG

Software FX

To answer your questions:

1) The ability to set the frequency in seconds, down to one second, would be ideal.

2) Different refresh rates for different web parts would be a nice feature, but far less critical than the base feature of all web parts refreshing at the same rate per page.

3) Not that I can think of. I'd typically pull SQL data, and where a time stamp is needed, it could key off of the SQL time for that record.

4) In this scenario, some indication of a connection failure would be helpful, at least as an option. Perhaps something like a small green/red dot in a corner of the web part might be used.

Thank you,

Aaron

• 1 month later...

I agree.  I am demo'ing the product right now and that was the first issue I noticed.  There needs to be a way to set it to refresh at some interval between 1 sec and several minutes. Yes different web parts may need different refresh rates.  Be able to display a custom message related to the connection failure would be great. 

This feature has been included in our to do list for one of our upcoming service packs. We don't have a specific timeframe for when this will be implemented, but will very likely be included in our third service pack.

Our first service pack, scheduled to release later this month, will include the new Map web part, localization support and a few bug fixes.

Our second service pack, which our team is already working on, will include support of Oracle and OleDB data sources, connection to SharePoint lists inside different site collections and support for parameters when connecting to SharePoint lists (currently parameters are only supported when connecting to external databases).

The content of our third service pack is still being discussed, but support for real time refresh is very likely to make it in that one.

---

IG

Software FX

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...